Thread: Roger Humphries

User Info Menu

Default Roger Humphries

Roger Humphries was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1944 and is a jazz drummer. He began playing drums at age four, and went professional at age 14 and led an ensemble at Carnegie Hall at age 16. In the early 1960s, he began touring and recording with jazz musicians Stanley Turrentine (tenor sax) and Shirley Scott (B3 organ). After that he was with Horace Silver (piano) on the famous album "Song For My Father".

He also played and recorded with a virtual "who's who" of jazz legends - Lee Morgan, Grant Green, Billy Taylor, Bill Doggett, Benny Green, Lionel Hampton, Coleman Hawkins, Barry Harris, Clark Terry, J. J. Johnson, Billy Preston, Joe Henderson, Freddie Hubbard, Dizzy Gillespie, Jack McDuff, Gene Harris, George Harris, George Benson, Jon Faddis, Slide Hampton, Johnny Griffin, Herbie Mann, Randy Brecker, Joe Williams, Milt Jackson, Jimmy Witherspoon, Hubert Laws, Dwayne Dolphin, Isley Brothers, and Illinois Jacquet and others.

This is Roger playing "This I Dig of You" at Lighthouse Arts, INC. (at 75 years old) with the Roger Humphies Quartet with Dwayne Dolphin (bass), Max Leake (piano), James Moore (trumpet), Lou Stellute (tenor sax).

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roger Humphries

This Roger playing the famous "Song For My Father" on the Horace Silver album "Song For My Father" with Horace Silver (piano), Carmell Jones (trumpet), Joe Henderson (tenor sax), and Teddy Smith (bass).