Thread: Don Murray

User Info Menu

Default Don Murray

Don Murray (1945-1996) of "The Turtles" (not "The Charlie Daniels Band) is an American drummer from Inglewood, Clifornia and started playing the drums when he was 15. He started playing with the band "The Nightriders" which was later changed to "the Crossfires" and they played at high school dances. The Crossfires later became the Turtles. Due to the fact they were all under 21 they had touble playing gigs such as places like Whisky A Go Go.

Don played with The Turtles from 1965 to 1966 and was somewhat like Ringo in that the fans liked him and cheered for him the loudest and of course just like with the Beatles the others were a little bit jealous. Eventually because of that and a heavy touring schedule (due to the bands success), he "and bass player Chip Douglas) left the band. The band had several Top 40 hits beginning in 1965 with "Happy Together" and their cover version of Bob Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe". He left before "Happy Together" was made.

After leaving the Turtles he played with Paul William's psychedelic folk group "The Holy Mackerel".

This is Don playing "It Ain't Me Babe" on the The Turtles album "It Ain't Me Babe".

Last edited by aboveforever; 10-30-2020 at 06:41 PM.