Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: music

User Info Menu

Default music

Does anyone know of a good song that is somewhat easy to play on the drums (but yet a bit challenging)?

If so could you let me know so I can purchase the cd and the score for the song.

Thanks

Im just looking for something to keep mebusy and yet also allow me to have a little fun doing it .

User Info Menu

Shook me all night long - AC/DC (Back in Black album)
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

One of the first songs i really had to practice before getting right was "Dirty Harry" by The Gorillaz.
    As your a beginner those bass triplets will drive you insane untill you get them right!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Oh....Lots

I agree with vinny on Dirty Harry. Bass is done by computer, but it is difficult to get.

Trust me on this, the song Anna Begins by Counting Crows is awesome. The tempo is nice, and it's fairly straight foreward but it has some subtle difficulties that are awesome. I cannot stop playing it. It's off of their August and Everything After CD, but it's also on they're greatest hits CD Films about Ghosts. A couple other songs on there are pretty good too, like Round Here and Time and Time Again. Trust me, it's awesome.
    http://www.drumchat.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3906&dateline=1196908  888
    "Did you hear that Robin? 'Were'. 'Were'! DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME LIKE THAT AGAIN! I'M BARRRY GIBB! I'LL PUT YOU IN THE GROUND! PUT-YOU-IN--THE-GROUND--YeaH!

User Info Menu

I agree with livewire Anything AC/DC is easy, but had great groove and fun to play, Back in Black is also a good one.

User Info Menu

Stuff by the Moody Blues has some fairly straightforward grooves too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't know I have yet to learn one song!

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm just starting!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Hey, I.m just starting!
    But you're ahead of the game, I'm sure you know a song or two, right?

User Info Menu

I can do most of the basic grooves, but I struggle with the fills a bit.

User Info Menu

So, what is it about nsome of the fills you struggle with? Is it the timing or the placement or the how to play them or what?

User Info Menu

It's mostly not knowing fill patterns yet. My teacher is making sure that I get other basics down first. I'm working on triplets at the moment. I can tell that once all of that is in place, he's going to let me work on fills.

What I know about fills is just self-taught stuff.

User Info Menu

Beer by Psychostick!
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Actually a real easy song is "The Reason" by Hoobastank

User Info Menu

So, PB. You mean its like a lack of ideas and not knowing what to do?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    So, PB. You mean its like a lack of ideas and not knowing what to do?
    Yeah. I can create my own, but to fit it in with the music, I need to just learn some basic fills to fill specific timing.

User Info Menu

Well if you know where you are and count out loud you wont lose time. The best way is to listen to a lot of music and to experiment. Dont be afraid to screw up a lot.
    I would recomend this exersize:
    Set your metronome to a quite a slow tempo. Play one bar of the basic rock beat and one bar of fill. Just repeat this again and again. You will come up with plenty of fill ideas. When you come up wiht a good fill idea change it, put the accents in differant places, add flams or drags and so on. This should really help.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I kind of do that already - the creating my own fill stuff. i do it on the fly, and then I have to try and remember what i did the next time. The probelm is that I want to learn some of the fills that I hear on songs. I recognize some common, basic fills and I really want to learn them.

User Info Menu

Default supersonic by oasis

The song has a nice easy groove bass on beat 1, snare on 2, bass on 3 &, snare on 4 and you play that for the whole song throwing in the occassional crash and you can feel when thats going to happen. but after a few minutes playing the same groove over an over you find yourself concentrating. as there is not many songs when the drummer has to play the same groove the whole song.

User Info Menu

That sounds like something pretty easy alright.

User Info Menu

try 1979 by smashing pumpkins, same beat through the whole song but fun to play - first song I learned. Another vote for back in black by AC/DC still play that one every week it's cool
    I sleep with my sticks.

User Info Menu

I'm not the biggest AC/DC fan, but I agree, the drum parts are all relatively simple, and fun to groove to. Also, most of todays popular "rock" ie. Hoobastank, Nickelback, etc, is pretty easy, and fun to play. If you want a fun and challenging groove, throw in anything by Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

anything by Death From Above 1979.
    Their Drummer also sings so most of his stuff is pretty straightforward.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    I'm not the biggest AC/DC fan, but I agree, the drum parts are all relatively simple, and fun to groove to. Also, most of todays popular "rock" ie. Hoobastank, Nickelback, etc, is pretty easy, and fun to play. If you want a fun and challenging groove, throw in anything by Led Zeppelin, or Pink Floyd.
    so where can one get music to these songs ,not tabliture but music?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    so where can one get music to these songs ,not tabliture but music?
    lol, good luck finding sheet music for drums! I've yet to find any decent sheet music, it's absolutely not out there for free, and you have to search your butt off to find it for sale. Most of the sheet music sold in shops is for piano/guitar, or horns. I recently bought the score for Casting Crown's debut album, and all I got was guitar, vocals, and piano, I had to make up my own part, or try to copy what the drummer did by ear. I wish you the best of luck, and if you come up with a decent source, pass it this way!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.