Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muffling on snare

User Info Menu

Default Muffling on snare

another dumb newbie question.
    was going to take my Stewart smare apart and noticed that it has an internal adjustable muffling pad under the batter. (same as my floor tom)
    are these mufflers common to all snares and floor toms?????
    thanks
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RIFF WRATH View Post
    another dumb newbie question.
    was going to take my Stewart smare apart and noticed that it has an internal adjustable muffling pad under the batter. (same as my floor tom)
    are these mufflers common to all snares and floor toms?????
    thanks
    RIFF
    They were popular on older model drums ( particularly Ludwig). Stencil kits (less expensive asian kits) will still employ them to some degree even on new kits. My sons kit has them on every drum. My early 70s ludwig supra 402 has one, and I like it. I use it all the time to slightly dampen and unwanted overtone. I hate putting anything like moongel or dampen rings on my heads so it works nice to adjust for different playing situations. I am considering putting one on a new snare drum that I am going to build they just work well for their intended purpose.

User Info Menu

You can even buy them as add ons for drums that don't already have them right?
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Yes you can, kry. I believe that you can get them from Ludwig and Gibraltar. I had an old Ludwig Acrolite snare that had the muffler built in and I loved it. I've considered putting one in my Pearl snare, but I'm just not too crazy about drilling a hole in the side of the shell to mount it. I don't know....maybe someday I'll get the guts to do it...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I had one of those on the snare I used in high school, and I have one on the 18" tom I have now... I love them... just drill the hole!

User Info Menu

I got one built onto my snare. I need to replace it though because it has been threaded. You can buy external ones that clip onto your rings pretty cheap off ebay. Same thing happens *which my friend did* With some tissues and a lil gaffa tape. Either inside or the outer side of the head.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Cool Internal Mufflers

Internal Mufflers Ruled On Old Kits Becuase They Could Not Be Seen And Then By Doing So Kept The Cosmetics Of The Drum In The Highest Esteem....all My Old Ludwigs Rogers And Slingerlands Employed That Piece....AND BY THE WAY RIFF CONGRATS ON OWNING SOME "STEWART "DRUMS,,,,SOME OF THE MOST MEMORABLE SESSIONS I EVER PALYED IN NEW ORLEANS WERE ON"STEWART" DRUMS
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 12-24-2007 at 02:28 AM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I'm not keen on internal mufflers, or infact any muffling at all. Although, occasionally I use moongel on floor toms to get rid of some of the ring.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz W View Post
    I'm not keen on internal mufflers, or infact any muffling at all. Although, occasionally I use moongel on floor toms to get rid of some of the ring.
    agreed

User Info Menu

Someone agrees with me!? Blimey. Usually people say that muffling is the best thing ever.

Its just an easy way to make bad sounding, out of tune drums sound half decent.
    My Kit
    Yamaha DTXpress III, Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute, Yamaha Hardware, DW Pedals, Zildjian A Custom, K and ZHT Cymbals. Vic Firth Sticks.
    2 Years of Saving. Worth Every Day.

User Info Menu

In certain situations (like my all concrete basement) muffling is the greatest thing in the world. But for live shows, especially big live shows, muffling kills your drumset. If you're a gigging drummer, I wouldn't muffle at all... well maybe an o-ring or two, but nothing else. I personally have those neat little foam and plastic rings that seat under the drum head (though I have removed them.)

User Info Menu

Sorry a even more newbie question than the origninal.Does muffling mean the drums are quieter?Im asking this because the neighbours arent too keen on the noise coming from my garage since i got my kit:P And my parents need a way of quieting down my drums without prohibiting my playing.

Fox
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

Muffling cuts down on resonance.... which kindof makes it quieter. In my basement, muffling cuts down on the ammount of sound that bounces around and off of the concrete walls. All muffling does is lessen the vibration of the batter head, toning down the sound as a whole. Not just volume. If volume control is an issue, get some muting pads... thier basically rubber practice pads that fit over your drum heads, so you can play an acoustic set, with the same general sound, but much much quieter, and absolutely no resonance. I hope that helps.

User Info Menu

All of my toms (and snare) have the built-in muffler. I hate them. One of them rattles, and a couple of them just won't adjust right. Although, I've never known how to properly tune my set either, so I never cared much. They sound great with my ear-muffs on, and that's all that matters...LOL
    6-piece Pearl Export Series
    -Sabian/Zildjian
    -DW5000 double-bass pedals
    -Ahead aluminum drum sticks!

User Info Menu

Default Drum muffling

Your neighbors will still hear some of the drumming. Muffling is meant to lessen the overtone and resonance. You can buy and install dampers but, you can also get a fairly new product called Moon Gel. These are a 1/2"X1" geletin pad that simply sits on the head where you place it. It will not shift or move. You can place it anywhere on the head. It comes in packages of 4 for about $5.00. I have been experimenting with these on my kit and am absolutely thrilled with them. I no longer use the mufflers/dampers on my kit. Speaking of which, I play Ludwig Classics which I bought in 1964. The shells are in terrific condition. I also use an 18" floor tom along with the 16" that came with the set. I play exclusively with a vintage/contemporary big band and the Moon Gel dampens the heads (Remo Pin Stripe coated) enough so that the drums do not get in the way of the band and retain their power and sound when I need it.

User Info Menu

Good overview, Fiacovaz! Welcome to Drum Chat, and Happy New Year!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks guys,i just need a way my drums are simply quiter without hindering that feel u would lose by putting a large rubber thing on them lol i dunno it just wouldnt feel right

Fox
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

I checked out the moon gel last Fri. before I ripped my snare apart...the drum was out of tune and buzzing...putting the moon gel on really worked....modern science..LOL
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Cool

i lubs moongel carry it in my stickbag....just like the drumkey on my keyring,,,,,priceless
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Phrogge
    you keep your drum key on a key ring???? I personaly was thinking of having mine made into an earing...except its chrome, not gold....LOL
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Cool Muffling on snare

First on the original question...muffling doesn't mean silencing--just means, as was mentioned above, that the unwanted ringing would be muted in favor of a dry sound...

Now, Riff...wouldn't that drum key hurt when you start rockin' like this? Ouch! You'd get more rim shots on your head than on your drum heads!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

probably right BB
    you know what they say .......too soon old.....too late smart
    cheers
    RIFF

User Info Menu

Ok,well anyone got any decent tips on quieting down my drums? no smart comment such as: "dont hit as hard!"...not appreciated

Fox

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Internal Mufflers Ruled On Old Kits Becuase They Could Not Be Seen And Then By Doing So Kept The Cosmetics Of The Drum In The Highest Esteem....all My Old Ludwigs Rogers And Slingerlands Employed That Piece....AND BY THE WAY RIFF CONGRATS ON OWNING SOME "STEWART "DRUMS,,,,SOME OF THE MOST MEMORABLE SESSIONS I EVER PALYED IN NEW ORLEANS WERE ON"STEWART" DRUMS
    I saw a set of Stewart drums in the pawn shop for $125 they were in good shape is that a good deal? I don't know anything about Stewart drums

User Info Menu

You can quiten them like Kryshah posted by using muting pads or for a lower volume you can use Hot Rods when you play for a lower volume