Thread: Mapex heads

User Info Menu

Default Mapex heads

For the Mapex players here, I’ve been running Evans EC2 over G1’s heads on my Armory toms, but have thought of trying something other than the EC2’s. What are you using, what are your thoughts on them, what tuning range are you in, and do you have audio samples? I’m not interested in hydraulic heads.
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 11-19-2020 at 11:36 PM.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex heads

Remo Coated Ambassadors & let them sing
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Why not try the Evans coated G2’s (two 7 mil ply). Keep the G1’s as reso’s.
    The coated Remo Vintage Emperor’s you may like too. (two, 7.5 mil ply)

User Info Menu

On my Yammy Recording Customs, I just swapped clear EC2s for Remo Black pins. Same Evans G1s on the reso side.

So the head swap would be similar but not sure about the shell response between your kit and mine.

But I will say, these heads are amazing. Opened up the resonation and definitely was a good move on my part.

YMMV
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Shameless self promo of the best kit you can own. 20201201_214322.jpg
    Signature here

User Info Menu

are the g1 reso's coated?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

On both my Saturn (which have been sold) and my Meridian Maple I like the coated G2 heads over EC Resonant with no dampening.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    are the g1 reso's coated?
    Mine are not. I also have slated to replace the Evans G1 resos with Remo Ebony Ambassadors. Going for the all black look even though you really don't see the reso's. :(
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    On both my Saturn (which have been sold) and my Meridian Maple I like the coated G2 heads over EC Resonant with no dampening.
    That's always a winning combo. Everything from my Pearl Masters up through my TAMAs and all other brands I've owned, have received that same treatment at one time or another.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Mine are not. I also have slated to replace the Evans G1 resos with Remo Ebony Ambassadors. Going for the all black look even though you really don't see the reso's. :(
    Yeah I been wanting to try the remo amb. starfire chromes for reso's. 12 mil's but again you really cannot see them but when I was gigging I thought it may be nice to have a light bounce off the bottom of them

For the OP maybe try coated reso's instead of just changing the batters again.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

On all of my Mapex toms I use clear G2 over clear G1. They sound great. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army