Thread: Bad experiences as a drummer

User Info Menu

Default Bad experiences as a drummer

This thread should be interesting. What are some bad experiences you’ve had as a drummer?

Last March I got a call from a praise and worship group that needed a drummer for some studio time. The leader of the group sent me the music ahead of time. I get to the studio, get set up, and come to find out only the musicians knew the songs. He didn’t share the music with his vocalists.

We decide to try to cut tracks and the guitar player is all over the place in regards to tempo. They wanted to play without a click. The engineer asked if I could play to a click and I told him yes. He told the band the best thing to do is to play to one and just follow me.

That turned into a disaster which led to me getting frustrated and walking out simply because this group didn’t take the time to rehearse the songs before they came to the studio.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bad experiences as a drummer

I would've walked out too. That was ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time.

I once showed up to a gig and another drummer was setting up. The bandleader accidentally booked two drummers for the gig. There was tension between the other drummer and I but we would later become very good friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I would've walked out too. That was ridiculous and a waste of everyone's time.

I once showed up to a gig and another drummer was setting up. The bandleader accidentally booked two drummers for the gig. There was tension between the other drummer and I but we would later become very good friends.
    Funny similar story... we showed up to a gig and they double booked also. But both bands agreed to split the show in half. Unfortunately (and I will NEVER EVER do it again) the other drummer and I negotiated to use one kit. Our band got the longer set and closing time so he asked if he could play my kit. I agree cause I know the hassles. I set up my kit and then went and hung out in the crowd with the band. We did say please if you break anything you cover it... apparently I also needed to say DON'T REDO MY ENTIRE KIT AND MOVE EVERYTHING AROUND!!!! Instead of just conforming and playing on my kit he took the time to reset it up completely. I was soooo pissed and it took me longer to set it back up then it would have to just put his up and take it down and put mine up afterwards.

I almost got into a fight with him and told him to learn how to be more flexible when using others gear.

User Info Menu

"Bad Experiences"

I started to write a post on that subject and realized when I had finished that the length of my post made War and Peace look like a pamphlet.

I have started to edit it down and hope to be finished before the end of the year. That year being 2021.

The thing is that all those "Bad Experiences" took place between 1970 and early 1972. They included a lot of yelling and cursing and hitting a guitar player/singer which, if you have not done so, do it at least once in your life. The feeling that comes over you could only be equaled by (at the time) 24 hours with Raquel Welch.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS