Thread: Down To A Couple

User Info Menu

Default Down To A Couple

Considering getting an E-Kit for practice purposes only. Narrowed it down to a couple:

Roland TD-07KV
    Alesis Command Mesh

Price between the two is only about $200. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles since it will be used just for practice. Any insight would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Down To A Couple

Did the same thing a few years ago and hated them. I made up my mind right there if I was to ever get another e-kit I would get bigger pads and a better brain. Problem with that is you gotta spend close to the acoustic equivalent of a 3pc Sonor Sq2. I really like the new Alesis Strike Pro SE... That is the one I would get. I got to play it at local shop here and was very impressed.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I purchased a Simmons e-kit about a year ago. Very nice and was able to negotiate with an on line retailer and it was under 1K for everything you see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I purchased a Simmons e-kit about a year ago. Very nice and was able to negotiate with an on line retailer and it was under 1K for everything you see.
    Do you play it much?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Did the same thing a few years ago and hated them. I made up my mind right there if I was to ever get another e-kit I would get bigger pads and a better brain. Problem with that is you gotta spend close to the acoustic equivalent of a 3pc Sonor Sq2. I really like the new Alesis Strike Pro SE... That is the one I would get. I got to play it at local shop here and was very impressed.
    I'll take a look at the Strike Pro. Thx.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, but way more than I want to spend for something that is just going to serve as a practice kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Too bad Swee****er doesn't sell that brand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Nice, but way more than I want to spend for something that is just going to serve as a practice kit.
    Yeah that's what my plan was for my ekit and when I got it after about an hour I really did not even want to practice on it I hated it soo much but different strokes. Let us know how it goes.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I really like the Alesis Command mesh kit. It's great for practicing and recording. The pads feel great and are quiet enough for home use within a big family household and close neighors.

The only thing I was a bit disappointed in was the hi-hat. Personally I expect a wide range of dynamics and sounds from a hi-hat, so I've substituted it out for a real hat. This means I had an extra cymbal pad which can plug straight into the module and I used it for a ride.

I record the kit with midi going into Apple logic. Then you can use any drum sounds you wish for your recordings. To give you an idea of how it can sound, here is an example I put on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN0cNCeuqMk