Thread: I need some help with shell packs

User Info Menu

Default I need some help with shell packs

I've been playing the drums for about one year with a small groove drum set. Now I'm meeting with some guys to play and need to upgrade. I'm looking for a 5 piece shell pack and have about 500 bucks to spend. I know you get what you pay for but I'm 41 and don't know how much better I'm going to get. I started taking lessons about 3 months ago and I'm just looking to play for fun. I've been looking around at my local stores, on line and on ebay. There are way to many drums out there. I have a massive headache. I've seen shell packs from ddrums,tama,pearl,cb drums and they are all in my price range. I like to play rock. So I'm looking for some advice. Is there any that stand out from the rest or are they all about the same. Thanks Dave

User Info Menu

Dave, do you have a preference for the wood in your shells? that might narrow things down for us a bit. I'm partial to maple, and I got the Gretsch catalina Maple shell pack for $699. I know the Catalina Ash shell pack is going for around $599, and since the Catalina Birch kit was discontinued, you can get them for around $500. they all sound different, though, so knowing the sound you want is important.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey FinFan and welcome to Drum Chat!
    Are you sure the set you have won't do? Why do you feel the need to upgrade if you're only playing for fun?
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

User Info Menu

I don't really have a preference for the wood type. The bass drum I have is only 18" and when I go for my lessons the drum is 22". I can tell I'm starting to like playing the bigger drums. And with the guys I think they would sound better and give some more volume. But I must say I fit the groove drums with remo ebony pinstripe heads and I think they sound pretty good. But I don't know what type of wood they are.

User Info Menu

I think you should check out pdp. They make excellent all maple drums that aren't very expensive, but are very high quality. Their hardware is top notch. You wouldn't be disapointed. I think my next choice would be either a pearl shell pack, or like PB said, the Gretsch Catalina Maple. Tama makes really good entry level drums too. Sam Ash sells a Tama Rockstar shellpack that isn't too bad. I play Tama Rockstars myself, and I like the results pretty well. PDP is definately my first choice though, if I were in the market right now that's probably what I would get. High quality, low price.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

this is a mapex pro m fusion kit (yamaha snare) thin shell maple they are very nice for the price. I bought this as a shell kit it has the matching snare also. I would say check out the mapex they are nice drums with good prices!

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

oops.... I forgot about mapex... lol
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. I just notice a sharpe Mapex set on ebay. 5 piece M series Iron grey with sabian cymbals and hardware. Right now it's at 250 and add 100 for shipping. Only one year old, if it falls in my price range I can sell off what I don't need. One day to go I will keep an eye on it.

Someone is selling a set of Union drums near me, it's not the jr. set. Bass is 22" . They are brich, tabacco laquer finish, with a complete set of wuhan cymbals, 4 stands and the 5 drums for 300. One year old. I never hear of union drums, that's probably a bad sign. But maybe someone out there has. Thanks again dave

User Info Menu

I'm watching a nice set of Mapex on ebay. M series Iron Grey. Cymbals and stands come with it but I can always sell what I don't need. Thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Sounds good Finfan.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.