Thread: 'Good' head for gong/pancake drum?

User Info Menu

Default 'Good' head for gong/pancake drum?

Hey everyone

First of all: I already did this post on another forum, but I want to gather some more thoughts on this.

I bought a 20" gong/pancake drum.
    The head that came with the drum sounds like ****. It seems like it’s a two ply, and has an extra damping ring build inside the head. (Powerstroke type?)

What would be a good head for this type of drum?
    (Single headed, there is no reso side!)

20" heads aren' cheap... So I won't buy different types just to experiment.
    I also haven't any 20" heads laying around.
    I thought of a Remo Black dot head (CS), but I'm not sure if I'll go for coated or clear...

The heads I use on my set are all Remo coated ambassadors (top and bottom, wide open - 14,16,18), an Evans Emad on my 26” BD, and an CS black dot heads on my rototoms (6,8,10).

Do you guys have some recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default Re: 'Good' head for gong/pancake drum?

Novusuhu did you ever find a drumhead you like for the gong drum? I’ve been looking at one lately and would like to hear your thoughts.

User Info Menu

For my 20" Gong Drum I went with the thicker Emad. I also like this head because I can choose between no dampening, light dampening and heavier dampening since it comes with 2 different foam rings. I have it on my Yamaha kit.

Yes it's thick and heavy but it's the sound I prefer for it.

User Info Menu

Okay cool Spaz thank you. How is that pdp bass drum turned gong drum working for you in the other thread or is this the same one you speak of?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Catalyst1 View Post
    Okay cool Spaz thank you. How is that pdp bass drum turned gong drum working for you in the other thread or is this the same one you speak of?
    I ended up not messing with the PDP. I did turn a 16" floor tom into a small kick though. But no gong drum for it.