Thread: New Kit Recommendations?

User Info Menu

Default New Kit Recommendations?

I sold my Gretsch Renown maple kit a few months ago and am thinking of getting another kit.

I'm toying with the idea of a Mapex Saturn (iv or v), but also thinking about a pdp cx, platinum or x7.

While I would love to get a starclassic bubinga, my budget won't allow for that. Also, while I love my starclassic b/b most of all, perhaps it's worth changing up the sound a little bit if getting another kit.

Any recommendations?
    Last edited by fpmr96a; 01-25-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Kit Recommendations?

I'm all for the PDP. I have 2 PDP Kits, and I absolutely love them. Quality and sound is top notch at an intermediate price point.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm all for the PDP. I have 2 PDP Kits, and I absolutely love them. Quality and sound is top notch at an intermediate price point.
    Yes, and I think especially the older models "made in mexico" that eventually became part of the official DW line.

During the past year, I picked up a pdp 13x7 maple / walnut snare (wanted the bubinga version but couldn't find) and an Eric Hernandez 13x4. I've been underwhelmed by the hernandez, but love the 13x7.

I'm also considering sonor, but of course price becomes an issue real quickly. Also, keep getting pulled back to Starclassics, since I love the sound so much. But, I really should mix things up a little...
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

Have a pdp concept wood hoop bop kit, sounds really good but the hardware is cheap IMO, I cannot hand tighten any of the lugs flush to the rim without using a key and the tom mount is a lil cheesy but it sounds really good especially now that I have the right heads on her.

IMO you should really check out Ludwig Classic Maple man, I have had Saturns, and Tama's all good kits especially the Saturn but the Ludwig CM is what I have been searching for all along. Good luck in your search, it is always fun researching new kits when your going to buy one. Keep us posted and show pics of whatever you get.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Have a pdp concept wood hoop bop kit, sounds really good but the hardware is cheap IMO, I cannot hand tighten any of the lugs flush to the rim without using a key and the tom mount is a lil cheesy but it sounds really good especially now that I have the right heads on her.

IMO you should really check out Ludwig Classic Maple man, I have had Saturns, and Tama's all good kits especially the Saturn but the Ludwig CM is what I have been searching for all along. Good luck in your search, it is always fun researching new kits when your going to buy one. Keep us posted and show pics of whatever you get.
    Thanks, I've not considered Ludwigs but will definitely research the Ludwig CMs now.
    Sam

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    Thanks, I've not considered Ludwigs but will definitely research the Ludwig CMs now.
    This is a really good comparison demo of their top 5 kits, put on some headphones and enjoy.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

A friend of mine has an old Ludwig CM set (1970's). They are very nice sounding drums. Beautiful inside and out. I would look very hard at these drums if I was searching for a new kit.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

What's the budget? New or used?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    What's the budget? New or used?
    I'm thinking used, primarily, and my budget is a max of about $1000. At the moment, my top choice is a Mapex Saturn kit in natural burl. Great looking kit, but I've never played one. I've gone down that road before and it's not ended well. I really prefer to play a kit before buying, but that's tougher than ever to achieve.

My second favorite is (1 of 2) Tama Starclassic kits. Here I am, back to the same old thing but I love them. I may have a deal on a Starclassic Bubinga kit, but I'll have to stretch my budget. I do have a possible deal on a birch/walnut kit also. While it's more predictable that I'll love the Starclassics (especially the bubinga kit), I feel like I should mix things up a little more.

Still searching, but having fun ...

Bring on the ideas, guys. I found my favorite 2 snares based on recommendations here. (Thanks SpazApproved )
    Sam

User Info Menu

Yamaha Tour Custom? Pearl Masters Series? Both can be found used in the price point you have and both are incredible drums for the money.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Yamaha Tour Custom? Pearl Masters Series? Both can be found used in the price point you have and both are incredible drums for the money.
    Thanks. I am very interested in the Pearl Masters...
    Sam

User Info Menu

I found a great deal on Starclassics Bubinga kit. Not my first choice on color, but very nice, and reasonably priced. This kit will sound awesome and be easier to sell if or when I'm ready.

Also found a Mapex Saturn IV kit that's beautiful. Actually 2 kits in the same finish. One would have to be shipped, but reasonable priced and 22" kick. The other at my local Guitar Center with 20" kick. My Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute kit has a 20" kick and all my other kits are 22". I have to mic the 20" as it's very shallow otherwise. I tend to love the rumble of a 22", but I guess that's what they invented mics for.

I'm going to check the kit at Guitar Center (hopefully this weekend), but the 20" kick is already swaying me away. However, that one is similarly priced and includes a snare.

Another new addition is a DW Collectors 3-piece. A little out of my price range, but I could probably stretch for this one. Not crazy about the 3-piece, but not a deal-breaker.
    Last edited by fpmr96a; 01-29-2021 at 12:42 PM.
    Sam

User Info Menu

In the $1000 range do yourself a favor and check out the Mapex Armory line. I promise you will be amazed at how good they look and sound. I’ll add a few photos and a video of my tuning below.

Tunings are as follows:
    10: A-D
    12: F-B Flat
    14: C-F
    16: G-C
    Snare: C#-F#

I also have the tune-bot settings on this. The first number will be the batter head, the second the resonate head.

10: 233 - 293
    12: 185 - 248
    14: 137 - 177
    16: 100 - 139

30578233-7A96-405C-9BD5-0FB1107CF37F.jpg

51719075-8304-45F5-9AC6-9510AFAAAB9C.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

I’ve not checked out Armory’s yet, but they do sound and look great.

I checked out a used Saturn iv kit today and loved it. The 20” kick was louder than I expected but I think I prefer a 22” still . Great looking kit, though...

Last edited by fpmr96a; 01-30-2021 at 05:13 PM.
    Sam

User Info Menu

Sounds like you want a Starclassic Bubinga kit. I'd stick with that otherwise I'm willing to bet you'll have some buyer's remorse here pretty quick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Matter View Post
    Sounds like you want a Starclassic Bubinga kit. I'd stick with that otherwise I'm willing to bet you'll have some buyer's remorse here pretty quick.
    You're right that I'm biased toward the SC bubinga. But, I already have 2 SC kits and should try to broaden my horizons. I like the saturn iv exotic maple burl (with walnut) kit more than expected. I have access to 2 kits similarly priced. One with a snare and 20/14/10/12. The other 22/16/10/12. While I tend to prefer a 22 kick, the 20 sounded really full. I've always regretted getting the 20 kick on my yamaha birch custom absolute kit, but the saturn 20 sounded great.
    Sam

User Info Menu

I bought a birch/bubinga Tama Starclassic kit in Molten Brown Burst. Trying to post pictures, but that's not working out ...

Last edited by fpmr96a; 02-06-2021 at 07:15 AM.
    Sam