Thread: practice

User Info Menu

Default practice

Whats a good way to practice when at home and you need to be quiet? I just got rubber tips to put on the end of my sticks to get good bounce when practicing on hard surfaces, so I figure rudiments is as far as I can go.

Also, anybody got any good weak hand practice methods? Anything at all would be helpful.

Corey O

User Info Menu

Hey Corey just practice a lot. You'll get better by doing them over and over and over again. You have to build up muscle memory.

User Info Menu

their exists pads to put over your heads and cymbls for quiet prac...here are some links

That's just one kind....do some research if u want to find other options

User Info Menu

For weak hand practice methods, a great book is Stick Control. It's about $8 and it helps develop speed, power, endurance, and the weak hand. Here are some excercises. Just repeat them 20 times each. Then try to do them all in a row.

RLRL (Single Stroke Roll)
    LRLR
    RRLL (Double Stroke Roll)
    LLRR
    RLRR (Parididdle)
    LRLL
    RLLR
    LRRL
    RRLR
    LLRL
    RRRL
    LLLR
    RLLL
    LRRR
    RRRR
    LLLL

There are endless combinations of these excercises. They get boring after a while, but if you "stick with it" (cheesy drummer pun), you'll see results in a week or two.

User Info Menu

I agree with "Dat le" Stick Control (by George Stone I think) is a great book.

Good advice!