Thread: OT: RIP Chick Corea

User Info Menu

Default OT: RIP Chick Corea

The definition of MUSICIAN.
    This guy was one of the big ones...…….any style, anytime...…….he had joy you could see as he performed.

I just happened to be in college studying music when the three big RTF albums were released.
    Me and my music student friends would hang on every note of the latest stuff from these guys.
    I remember when NO MYSTERY won the Grammy for Jazz Performance of the Year (1975?) and we all cheered loudly because it was so well deserved.
    Then about a year later, RTF released ROMANTIC WARRIOR...……...OMG!...…….the pinnacle of jazz-rock fusion.

This is still in my top 5 best albums of all time.
    I found a Japanese remaster CD of this album about 20 years ago that is still one of the most fantastic production/recordings I own.
    Also -- the 2008 video, RTF Returns......Live at Montreaux is a real gem too -- I will be watching it tonight.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: OT: RIP Chick Corea

I saw him back in the '70's with Gary Burton. 1 hell of a musician.

He had to be close to 80.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

He made such a profound impact on the jazz world for decades. All my favorite drummers played with him. He only used the best musicians. I believe he even started a piano school recently. Cancer got him. So sad. RIP Chick Corea

Chick_Corea_in_2009.jpg

User Info Menu

I first heard him from my brothers Maynard Ferguson album i was a little kid. Such a great record.

rip Chick Corea

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Saw RTF with both Alphonse and Lenny. I think I slightly preferred Lenny, but not by much!