Thread: Greatest Drummer of All Time?

User Info Menu

Default Greatest Drummer of All Time?

John Bonham has been leading the pack for some time now in the category of greatest drummers of all time. But drum god Mike Portnoy thinks Neil Peart is the greatest of all time.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/02/2...r-of-all-time/

What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree?

mikeportnoy3.jpg

More on Mike Portnoy
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Greatest Drummer of All Time?

well for me Mike Portnoy is my favorite greatest drummer of all time.

I know i'll take heat for it, but Neil Peart is not one of my top favorites.. He is great but I'm not a huge fan
    That's the crazy part about opinions, you'll never fully agree with everyone.
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Concept Maple Classic | 5pc Sonor International | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 65 Snare drums and growing!

User Info Menu

BUDDY RICH, everyone else is a distant 2nd.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

User Info Menu

It seems the worlds greatest drummers were chosen usually from a very strong influential band, undoubtably for their drumming talent. I believe being in that situation has pushed them above some of the real truly talented drummers.
    I don’t believe in a worlds greatest because there are too many contributions of styles and abilities and would only be just that, an opinion of a worlds greatest drummer.
    As far as the greatest drummer of all time?, time is still ticking.....

IMO, John Bonham, Neil Peart, Buddy Rich are only a few of the worlds greatest “Influential” drummers of all time.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-27-2021 at 05:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I don’t believe in a worlds greatest because there are too many contributions of styles and abilities and would only be just that, an opinion of a worlds greatest drummer.
    I feel the same. I just thought Mike Portnoy's opinion was interesting and newsworthy esp. because he's a such a skilled drummer himself.
    - Tom

Everyone loves FREE... like this free drum forum. But like your car and even your drums, they require upkeep and maintenance and that requires money.

Will you consider Shopping at Drum Bum to help support this forum?

Or make a donation here.

I know from working with Drum Bum through the years, that this forum is costly to run. It requires server fees, hosting, ongoing moderation, advertising, software upgrades, security certificates and IT work when it breaks. All in addition to the expenses that come from running a business. These costs are offset (hopefully) by members that click through to Drum Bum to make a purchase now and then, if not make a contribution to help keep it running.

On behalf of Drum Bum, thank you for your consideration.

User Info Menu

"drum god Mike Portnoy"

G-O-D, a drum G-O-D!!! Good yes, a G-O-D not freakin' likely.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "drum god Mike Portnoy"

G-O-D, a drum G-O-D!!! Good yes, a G-O-D not freakin' likely.
    Try not to take it so seriously Rick. I know I’ve used that terminology for some drummers like John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Bill Bruford, Joe Morello, Ringo Starr, Steve Smith, on and on....etc. It just means they are or were a strong influence to a drummer or many drummers.
    It’s not like we mean they’re omnipotent.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-28-2021 at 12:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I feel the same. I just thought Mike Portnoy's opinion was interesting and newsworthy esp. because he's a such a skilled drummer himself.
    I understood that drummer, thanks.
    Wasn’t Mike Portnoy previously a Keith Moon fan, mimicking his moves and all? I remember seeing something about that if I’m not mistaken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    John Bonham has been leading the pack for some time now in the category of greatest drummers of all time. But drum god Mike Portnoy thinks Neil Peart is the greatest of all time.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/02/2...r-of-all-time/

What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree?

mikeportnoy3.jpg

More on Mike Portnoy
    I agree 100% Neil Peart , there will never be another like him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I understood that drummer, thanks.
    Wasn’t Mike Portnoy previously a Keith Moon fan, mimicking his moves and all? I remember seeing something about that if I’m not mistaken.
    You may be referring to his tribute band / bands. He did a Beatles tribute - Yellow Matter Custard , A Zeppelin Tribute - Hammer of the Gods , The Who Tribute - Amazing Journey and a Rush Tribute - Cygnus and the Sea Monsters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    You may be referring to his tribute band / bands. He did a Beatles tribute - Yellow Matter Custard , A Zeppelin Tribute - Hammer of the Gods , The Who Tribute - Amazing Journey and a Rush Tribute - Cygnus and the Sea Monsters.
    Oh wow, great! Thank you for that info. I will have to check that out.