Thread: Greatest Drummer of All Time?

User Info Menu

Default Greatest Drummer of All Time?

John Bonham has been leading the pack for some time now in the category of greatest drummers of all time. But drum god Mike Portnoy thinks Neil Peart is the greatest of all time.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/02/2...r-of-all-time/

What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree?

mikeportnoy3.jpg

More on Mike Portnoy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Greatest Drummer of All Time?

well for me Mike Portnoy is my favorite greatest drummer of all time.

I know i'll take heat for it, but Neil Peart is not one of my top favorites.. He is great but I'm not a huge fan
    That's the crazy part about opinions, you'll never fully agree with everyone.

User Info Menu

BUDDY RICH, everyone else is a distant 2nd.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

It seems the worlds greatest drummers were chosen usually from a very strong influential band, undoubtably for their drumming talent. I believe being in that situation has pushed them above some of the real truly talented drummers.
    I don’t believe in a worlds greatest because there are too many contributions of styles and abilities and would only be just that, an opinion of a worlds greatest drummer.
    As far as the greatest drummer of all time?, time is still ticking.....

IMO, John Bonham, Neil Peart, Buddy Rich are only a few of the worlds greatest “Influential” drummers of all time.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-27-2021 at 05:36 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I don’t believe in a worlds greatest because there are too many contributions of styles and abilities and would only be just that, an opinion of a worlds greatest drummer.
    I feel the same. I just thought Mike Portnoy's opinion was interesting and newsworthy esp. because he's a such a skilled drummer himself.

User Info Menu

"drum god Mike Portnoy"

G-O-D, a drum G-O-D!!! Good yes, a G-O-D not freakin' likely.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "drum god Mike Portnoy"

G-O-D, a drum G-O-D!!! Good yes, a G-O-D not freakin' likely.
    Try not to take it so seriously Rick. I know I’ve used that terminology for some drummers like John Bonham, Buddy Rich, Vinnie Colaiuta, Bill Bruford, Joe Morello, Ringo Starr, Steve Smith, on and on....etc. It just means they are or were a strong influence to a drummer or many drummers.
    It’s not like we mean they’re omnipotent.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-28-2021 at 12:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I feel the same. I just thought Mike Portnoy's opinion was interesting and newsworthy esp. because he's a such a skilled drummer himself.
    I understood that drummer, thanks.
    Wasn’t Mike Portnoy previously a Keith Moon fan, mimicking his moves and all? I remember seeing something about that if I’m not mistaken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    John Bonham has been leading the pack for some time now in the category of greatest drummers of all time. But drum god Mike Portnoy thinks Neil Peart is the greatest of all time.

https://www.metalsucks.net/2021/02/2...r-of-all-time/

What are your thoughts? Agree or disagree?

mikeportnoy3.jpg

More on Mike Portnoy
    I agree 100% Neil Peart , there will never be another like him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I understood that drummer, thanks.
    Wasn’t Mike Portnoy previously a Keith Moon fan, mimicking his moves and all? I remember seeing something about that if I’m not mistaken.
    You may be referring to his tribute band / bands. He did a Beatles tribute - Yellow Matter Custard , A Zeppelin Tribute - Hammer of the Gods , The Who Tribute - Amazing Journey and a Rush Tribute - Cygnus and the Sea Monsters.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    You may be referring to his tribute band / bands. He did a Beatles tribute - Yellow Matter Custard , A Zeppelin Tribute - Hammer of the Gods , The Who Tribute - Amazing Journey and a Rush Tribute - Cygnus and the Sea Monsters.
    Oh wow, great! Thank you for that info. I will have to check that out.

User Info Menu

I've been asked this a number of times by friends of mine. One night I started to really think about it, and this is what i came up with: When asked who I think the greatest drummer of all time is, I ask "in what genre"? I get funny looks at that answer, but, think about it. You have great drummers in all genres. Frank Beard of ZZTop is one of the best living blues rock drummers, but Bonham was great in his day. As for just rock drummers, there are lots of great ones, Jazz drummers, again, too many great ones. Progressive rock, Peart tops my list, but Portnoy, Mangini, Sucherman and Carey blow my mind also. I could go on all day. I think the easiest question is, "who is/was the most influential.........but then we get into that genre thing again! Maybe the best of all time is the one you like and find influence in.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I always find these discussions fascinating as it's always a fairly circular debate with no resolution and no real way of getting to one. And that's fine. The issues with identifying the greatest drummer of all time in my mind are:

1. Music is highly subjective. I love prog rock/metal and largely dislike modern pop but that doesn't mean there are not stellar musicians in the pop genre.
    2. No-one has intimate knowledge of all musicians across all genres. For example, there was a recent video which showed Larnell Lewis (outstanding drummer, by the way!) listening to Metallica's Enter Sandman for the first time ever then playing along after one listen. How do you go through life not ever hearing Enter Sandman? But, it does demonstrate people often stick to what they like and rarely venture out to other musical styles.
    3. How one person defines 'greatest drummer' is not necessarily the same as the next person. For example, Ringo Starr and Keith Moon were both incredibly influential and played great parts for the songs but, from a purley technical standpoint, they don't stand up against the likes of Peart, Portnoy, Mangini, Bruford, Rich, et al.

Having said that, these are some of the drummers that I greatly admire and find to be 'great' for varying reasons and in no particular order:

Gavin Harrison
    Mike Portnoy
    Mike Mangini
    Dave Grohl
    Matt Chamberlain
    Evelyn Glennie (OK, so she is a percussionist but still amazing - and she's deaf!)
    Neil Peart
    Chad Smith
    Virgil Donati
    Thomas Lang
    Benny Greb
    Marco Minnemann

I could go on and on and still not list so many great drummers for many reasons including the fact I've simply never heard of them.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

It doesn't specify any particular genre, so you only have criteria for 1 thing, and that is the greatest drummer. Going with that, it has to be Buddy Rich.

Next time, narrow it down to a specific genre.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

It doesn't specify any particular genre, so you only have criteria for 1 thing, and that is the greatest drummer. Going with that, it has to be Buddy Rich.

Next time, narrow it down to a specific genre.
    Pffft...All I know is Bonham and Peart never lost a drum battle to a friggin puppet!
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Check out Antonio Sanchez solo on the live version of "The Gathering Sky." by The Pat Metheny Group. He gets 4 different counterpointal clave rhythms going...just 'cause he can.
    He's extremely high on my list despite never playing in a stadium.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Pffft...All I know is Bonham and Peart never lost a drum battle to a friggin puppet!
    After careful thought, that's the best rebuttal you can come up with.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Lard Ulrich
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

After careful thought, that's the best rebuttal you can come up with.
    who said I put any thought into it, never mind careful thought.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

who said I put any thought into it, never mind careful thought.
    You do know that I was kidding with you............................................... ..right?

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You do know that I was kidding with you............................................... ..right?
    of course what would make you think I thought otherwise?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

of course what would make you think I thought otherwise?

That is a damn good question.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Check out Antonio Sanchez solo on the live version of "The Gathering Sky." by The Pat Metheny Group. He gets 4 different counterpointal clave rhythms going...just 'cause he can.
    He's extremely high on my list despite never playing in a stadium.
    Totally agree. The guy is a monster.

User Info Menu

Excellent question because there are so many wicked players out there, i have a ton of top favorite players. It s a difficult choice and comes down to personal taste for each and everyone of us. A lot of great choices in this thread so far.
    My overall choice would have to be Vinnie Colaiuta, the man has it all, originality, technique, versatility, taste, amazing improvisational skills and he doesn t repeat himself much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Excellent question because there are so many wicked players out there, i have a ton of top favorite players. It s a difficult choice and comes down to personal taste for each and everyone of us. A lot of great choices in this thread so far.
    My overall choice would have to be Vinnie Colaiuta, the man has it all, originality, technique, versatility, taste, amazing improvisational skills and he doesn t repeat himself much.
    I agree. He has played almost every genre and done it very well. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army