Thread: Biggest Mistake You've Made in Your Drumming Career

User Info Menu

Default Biggest Mistake You've Made in Your Drumming Career

If you had to pick one, what would you say is the biggest mistake you've made in your drumming career?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Biggest Mistake You've Made in Your Drumming Career

after parting ways with my band in college I gave up on music as I put my heart and soul into that band. I regret not pushing forward and finding another band while I was on the top of my game. Now... as much as I would love to follow my original dreams as a musician I work a 7-4 job and have two beautiful girls I couldn't leave behind.

User Info Menu

I regret going on extended hiatus from the drums once I got married and had kids. Luckily I never sold my kit so it was waiting for me when I finally decided to start playing again 25 years later. But I always think of how much further along I would be in my development if I had never stopped. I also think I should have focused less on learning specific songs for gigs and more on improving drumming skills in general.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Not moving out of an area where the music scene is garbage.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Taking a 20 year hiatus from playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Me Too, Me Too!

User Info Menu

When I hear about giving up playing for the kids, it always makes me smile. The grass is always greener right? I love that you guys can be home for your children and they can have a loving dad that's around for them, providing for them. Pro musicians really struggle with that. They're either not making enough money and/or they're on the road all the time and their kids never see them. The great thing is, we can always play for fun and we have that artistic ability that others don't. I remember my ex-wife saying, "I'd give anything to know how to sing or play a musical instrument". We are very blessed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Hey, shit happens. Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hey, shit happens. Today is the first day of the rest of your life.

HOLY CRAP, did I read that correctly, Tom used the s**t word.

I remember a few years ago writing "@%%&^(%$#@@*(+_+_)(*&^%$#@$^****&*" and Tom deleted it, never asking me what it meant.

Tom,Tom,Tom, you never cease to put me off balance. As soon as I think I have you figured out you drop the s**t bomb on me and I have to start all over again.

Damn, I'm too old for this shit,.....................whoops, sorry, I meant "poop".
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

The 1st time I met Buddy was at his club on 64th and 2nd. I brought an album, "Buddy Rich Live at Ronnie Scotts" hoping to get an autograph.

We got our table and I went back to the counter where Phil Sloves was and asked him if Buddy would sign this and he said that he would and he would be coming through the door any minute.

Buddy comes in a minute or 2 later, talks to Phil for a minute, and Phil says that the kid over here (me) wants you to sign his album. I hand him the album and he just looks at me and says, " You give me an album to sign but nothing to sign it with". I'm thinking this is the Buddy that I had heard about. Then he starts laughing and gets a sharpie like thing from Phil and signs the album.

Nam was winding down and he asks me if I was in the service and was I there and I told him yes as I knew that he was Marines in WWII. There was a little table and 2 chairs against the wall before you walked into the club and we went and sat down. We talked about the war, cars, martial arts and I'm sitting there in (I make no bones about it, he was my idol) total awe of this man thinking that he had played with Shaw, Berrigan, Tommy Dorsey, roomed with Sinatra, dated Lana Turner and I'm sitting there talking to him. Then, completely out of the blue, his says, "wanna sit in kid?" If I had a couple of minutes to think about it, I would have said yes and talked to anyone in the sextet and asked to play "Take 5". I was so taken by surprise that I said " No Buddy, we are here to listen to you and the group (probably stuttering as I said it) and while he was always nice to me, he never asked me again. I have kicked myself in the butt many times thinking about that.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Nam was winding down and he asks me if I was in the service and was I there and I told him yes as I knew that he was Marines in WWII. There was a little table and 2 chairs against the wall before you walked into the club and we went and sat down. We talked about the war, cars, martial arts and I'm sitting there in (I make no bones about it, he was my idol) total awe of this man thinking that he had played with Shaw, Berrigan, Tommy Dorsey, roomed with Sinatra, dated Lana Turner and I'm sitting there talking to him. Then, completely out of the blue, his says, "wanna sit in kid?" If I had a couple of minutes to think about it, I would have said yes and talked to anyone in the sextet and asked to play "Take 5". I was so taken by surprise that I said " No Buddy, we are here to listen to you and the group (probably stuttering as I said it) and while he was always nice to me, he never asked me again. I have kicked myself in the butt many times thinking about that.
    You got the autograph -- you got to have a chat -- and you made the correct choice...…...great memory.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The 1st time I met Buddy was at his club on 64th and 2nd. I brought an album, "Buddy Rich Live at Ronnie Scotts" hoping to get an autograph.

We got our table and I went back to the counter where Phil Sloves was and asked him if Buddy would sign this and he said that he would and he would be coming through the door any minute.

Buddy comes in a minute or 2 later, talks to Phil for a minute, and Phil says that the kid over here (me) wants you to sign his album. I hand him the album and he just looks at me and says, " You give me an album to sign but nothing to sign it with". I'm thinking this is the Buddy that I had heard about. Then he starts laughing and gets a sharpie like thing from Phil and signs the album.

What a great story Rick. - Wow!!