Thread: Looking at upgrading double pedals

User Info Menu

Default Looking at upgrading double pedals

I currently have a cheap set of PDP pedals that are on their last stint. I’m looking at the Tama Iron Cobra 900 or DW 5000 double kick pedals. Which one would you chose, and why?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking at upgrading double pedals

I have a set of Iron Cobra double pedals. I've had them for years. There is no # on them so I doubt if they are the 1's you are looking for.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I have some older Iron Cobras and some 5000s. I prefer the 5000s but you can't go wrong with either! The iron cobra power glides are SUPER nice. And I'd actually prefer a good power glide over the 5000. But now compare a 9000 with Tama and I'd take the 9000

User Info Menu

I went with the 5000’s. Guitar Center had one set. It has a few nicks on the slave bar, so they knocked some money off. I got them for $400.

D3B03869-F3FF-4758-A224-8948896435AF.jpg

183807F9-71B9-433A-BD19-AAA5D633B073.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I went with the 5000’s. Guitar Center had one set. It has a few nicks on the slave bar, so they knocked some money off. I got them for $400.

D3B03869-F3FF-4758-A224-8948896435AF.jpg

183807F9-71B9-433A-BD19-AAA5D633B073.jpg
    Nice!! I have the 5000s on my DDrum kit. They are nice for sure! Let us know what you think

User Info Menu

Boy I'd like to test fly a set of MDDs!!! I learned on Speed Kings in the mid 60s. I exclusively buried the beater in those days and the direct drives were superb for that technique.
    When I started playing again in '10 I got the 9002 chain drives and had to learn to release the beater on the 20" BD. I also still bury it if I want a more staccato note. I wonder if my current more evolved technique would again need to be adapted back to DD.
    It would be so nice to see how they compare with the 9000 chain drives.