Thread: New drums!

User Info Menu

Default New drums!

Hello DC, it’s been a long time since I’ve really posted here.

I recently did something I never really thought I would do. A few weeks ago I sold one of my kits (the red PDP CXs), and I bought an Alesis Strike Pro SE. I of course love the higher end Roland kits, I just don’t like the higher end Roland prices.

It’s been fun so far and I’m having to learn a lot. I already have some upgrades in mind. Anyways, I of course have a few pics. I hope everyone is doing well!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drums!

Wow, nice! Tell me more. What price range? Is the Alesis SE comparable to the Roland's high end kit? I haven't really kept up with the electronic drums that much over the last 10 years.

User Info Menu

Nice, I have been on the fence for a long time on getting that exact same kit. For the price it cannot be beat. what upgrades are you considering?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

oh man that is killer!!! I've thought about biting the bullet and doing a super nice high end electronic kit like that myself.

What are your honest thoughts and opinions.. pros and cons etc.

User Info Menu

Did you get a 23" bass drum like your DUBS?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Wow, nice! Tell me more. What price range? Is the Alesis SE comparable to the Roland's high end kit? I haven't really kept up with the electronic drums that much over the last 10 years.
    They go for about 2600. For that price you’re looking at the Roland TD17, or the VAD306, but the 306 still uses the TD17 module. I’m not super familiar with Roland so there may be something else it’s comparable to. But Alesis gives you new free kit samples when you download updates, I guess Roland isn’t known for that. In my opinion the Alesis sounds better than the Roland. Alesis gives you Tom sizes like normal kits, actual wood shells for a better look, a 20” kick drum, one or two more tom pads, and at least one more cymbal. For me, for this price, the strike pro really can’t be beat. When this series launched they definitely had issues but they’ve been worked out with the special edition. The trigger pads don’t snap, the high hats have a different configuration and although they aren’t amazing they work. When I started thinking about doing this, I knew that the only way I was going to be happy with it was the kit had to somewhat look like real drums and the set up had to almost mimic my live configuration. This kit gets pretty close.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Did you get a 23" bass drum like your DUBS?
    I didn’t know that was an option…looks like I’m returning these ASAP.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, I have been on the fence for a long time on getting that exact same kit. For the price it cannot be beat. what upgrades are you considering?
    The ride cymbal is ok but I would like to pick up one of the ATV 18” rides, then assign the 16” that came with this kit as an effects cymbal of some sort. I wouldn’t mind picking up the ATV hi hats either but they’re pricey. The cool thing is you can get drum splitters and continue to add other pieces to the kit.

The last thing for now would be making my own snare. I just like my snare not to match. Just a simple conversion of an acoustic snare to electric is all. I’m sure I’ll have more ideas as I spend more time with it.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh man that is killer!!! I've thought about biting the bullet and doing a super nice high end electronic kit like that myself.

What are your honest thoughts and opinions.. pros and cons etc.
    Pros:
    It’s quiet(er). This past year, I’ve had two kids home doing school online. There’s never a time where everyone is out of the house so this has been great for that. And it doesn’t annoy the neighbors.

It’s easier to record. USB from the module, into an audio interface, out to your computer. That’s it. If you record with these, and you use software, the drums can sound like anything you want.

Not that I gig these, but they would be lighter, and take up a bit less room overall.

Cons:
    They aren’t acoustic drums. The cymbals don’t feel like real cymbals, even though there are metal electronic cymbals, it kind of defeats the purpose if your goal is to be quieter.

Definite learning curve for me. Overall, learning how to calibrate things, change the sensitivities, etc. really get into the details to dial it in for exactly what you want and get the triggers to behave like you want them to.

Again, they aren’t acoustic drums…having played acoustic drums all my life, it takes some getting used to. At first I was playing like normal but it felt like I was smashing the mesh heads with tree trunks haha. Backed off a bit and used some lighter sticks, now it feels more natural.

And that’s another thing too. If you get an E kit with mesh heads, make sure you’re using nylon tipped sticks! The tiny splinters you can get on wood tips over time will eventually rip those mesh heads apart. And felt bass drum beaters too, so I switched the beaters out for the hard rubber sides.

There’s just different things you have to think of, and things you have to learn that I, personally, never really thought about before now.

Hope this helps.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Never been a fan of ekits, but those are some of the nicer edrums I've seen, particularly in that price range. Congrats!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Never been a fan of ekits, but those are some of the nicer edrums I've seen, particularly in that price range. Congrats!
    I’m with you on that, I was never a huge fan of them either.

Click for Gear Pics!

User Info Menu

Any further updates? You got me thinking about it to the point that I am actually considering this kit myself - I live in a condo and can play with Sound Off pads once in awhile, but not nearly as much as I'd like. I get the majority of my actual playing at my band's rehearsal studio, or of course at gigs. I generally learn new music by listening to it and I can work out any tricky parts at home with the pads on. It would be nice to have more practice time at home, so these make more sense the more I think about it.

This might be a dumb question but I really don't know anything about ekits. If you don't buy an amp then you're hearing your playing through phones.....do you plug the module into a sound system to play to songs on cd's or the radio, or saved on your computer?
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

Any further updates? You got me thinking about it to the point that I am actually considering this kit myself - I live in a condo and can play with Sound Off pads once in awhile, but not nearly as much as I'd like. I get the majority of my actual playing at my band's rehearsal studio, or of course at gigs. I generally learn new music by listening to it and I can work out any tricky parts at home with the pads on. It would be nice to have more practice time at home, so these make more sense the more I think about it.

This might be a dumb question but I really don't know anything about ekits. If you don't buy an amp then you're hearing your playing through phones.....do you plug the module into a sound system to play to songs on cd's or the radio, or saved on your computer?
    In most cases you have an AUX input that is usually mini-plug. That can be from ( as in my case ) a laptop headphone out. Mine also had an audio out (2 1/4" plugs that can be inserted into a mixer for stereo output). If you "Play quietly" you'll direct your music source into the drum module and output everything to headphones.

In my many years of E-kits experience, do yourself a favor and purchase some Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones. They reproduce bass like no other. Most headphones will snap and pop if you have the bd set accordingly. Not with the 770's.

YMMV
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Very helpful, thanks bud. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger or move my house kit into a location farther from the common wall with my neighbor and play with the Sound Off pads more frequently. How does the rebound on an ekit compare to rubber pads? With the mesh heads they make on these higher end kits, it sounds like it closely resembles what you get from a mylar head?

User Info Menu

Nice!!

User Info Menu

Very helpful, thanks bud. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger or move my house kit into a location farther from the common wall with my neighbor and play with the Sound Off pads more frequently. How does the rebound on an ekit compare to rubber pads? With the mesh heads they make on these higher end kits, it sounds like it closely resembles what you get from a mylar head?
    As far as playing along to music, some modules have a Bluetooth capability but you really only want to use that for personal play alongs as the latency with Bluetooth could be an issue. They are fun to play, and I’m getting deeper into calibrations and sensitivities with the triggers. If you want to play quieter at your place I recommend an E kit as they’ve come a long way and in my limited experience I’m having a good time with it.

With the rubber pads though, definitely go with a mesh kit. I had the DW go anywhere practice kit which was just a bunch of rubber pads and it did it’s job but felt very much like playing on lower end E kits with the rubber pads. The mesh option is superior in my opinion. You can adjust the tension just like acoustic drums. And a lot of companies are coming out with different thicknesses and ply options. I’m about to order a 3 ply head that’s supposed to feel very much like a real drum head. We shall see. And let us know if you decide on one!

Click for Gear Pics!