Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you kno if your overplaying

User Info Menu

Default how do you kno if your overplaying

my band thinx i overplay. i dont think i do. im just experamenting with beats but i try to keep it for the song

User Info Menu

dude my band does the same thing. i am still looking for a rememdy. not for me, just to make them shut up!! hahaha
    stick with it man
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

1. Many drummers approach a song by "what can I play that will make me sound good". Instead, approach the song with, "what can I play to make the song sound good".

2. Make sure the song grooves first and foremost. Sometimes it doesn't require a lot of fills.

3. Remember that "space" is a lick. Use it to create and interesting effect just like you would a fill.

4. Remember the comma rule; When in doubt, leave it out.

Practice this stuff and you'll be playing more for the song. And the band might get off your back.

User Info Menu

i agree....when by yourself try diff things but when you are with the band keep it simple and play what you KNOW will sound good and then once you find someting by your self that sounds better you can add it in the next time you are with the band...

User Info Menu

Hmmm....#4 sounds familiar. You been talkin' to my wife ?
    Last edited by Boo; 04-24-2006 at 02:01 PM.

User Info Menu

thanx i gues that helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boo
    Hmmm....#4 sounds familiar. You been talkin' to my wife ?
    No, not "talkin".

User Info Menu

oooohhhhhh
    Last edited by Baw_Drummer; 04-25-2006 at 12:39 AM.
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    No, not "talkin".
    Oh....OK....the gloves are off !!!!

User Info Menu

rut row...this outa be good...FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

OOOH....and it's drummer with the hammer head attack....

User Info Menu

Default How do you kno if your overplaying

Hey, alien--there's always a certain amount of ego among band members...for some people, overplaying is a problem if someone else (other than the complainer) is overplaying. For themselves, it's not overplaying, it's their solo!

To me, overplaying is when what you're doing doesn't fit in with what the rest of the band is doing. If, for example, I add drum rolls or flams where they stand out like a sore thumb rather than enhance the groove of the tune, that's overplaying. (And it's especially easy to do if you're a hand drummer.)

Seriously, dude, if someone can record your practice or gig, it may give you a clue if you're overplaying or not. While everyone wants to solo, the bigger challenge is to play with discipline--to resist showing off when it's not time to show off. Continue to work on the spectacular stuff when you're practicing by yourself...but make sure what you add fits what you're playing...

User Info Menu

IMO if the band say that you`re over playing then you probably are .It`s very very easy to do especially as you get better .Remember also that the band is a TEAM of people creating a sound ..if the sound isn`t right for every member then it`s not right .play it without fills and see where it takes you .IMO less is better ,otherwise you just look like a showoff and all that will do is get you a bad reputation and work will become harder to find .I`ve heard a lot over the years ppl say "the band were great ...drummer was a bit bizzy ....but.."

i use this simple rule

KISS it

Keep
    It
    Sweet &
    Simple

leave the 3 min solos for the practice kit !!

dave

User Info Menu

good advise thank you ill try some of those things

User Info Menu

Ay Alien, For me my job is to find the pocket with the bass player and from there hold that time and rhythm. Sometimes swithching from hi-hat to ride cymbal can cause a person to begin to rush. You don't have to do a roll after on every 4th or 8th measure. Most of all just hold that beat. Your job is to enhance what the other members of the band are playing. When the guitarist or keyboardist has a solo if you know where to place an accent to match up then fine accent along with cymbal or snare. but leave it at that. If the band comes down in volume you come down also. Dynamics is the name of the game when your are playing with others. I personally am not big on soloing but if you have to do it I agree with pinkfloyd keep it short and tasteful. Always remember sometimes less is more. Take Regge Music for example. I also agree with recording yourself. You'll be able to hear when you are over playing your role as a drummer. To much fill is overkill.
    Last edited by Timer; 07-19-2006 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I fully agree with Timer-
    Dynamics is everything and very often not even a thought when it comes to the new young bands out there. I hear so much talent when I go see the younger people playing at the battle of the bands in my area. But not to often are they playing "together."
    Rock Till Ya Drop

User Info Menu

lay down a good smooth beat for the song your playing then when it;s your time to shine let it rip.you have to play it the way you feel it and feel it when you play it. just an old drummer phillip latimer

User Info Menu

LESS IS MORE!!!!!

Keep it simple during the songs, and your bandmates will be more than happy to let you play a 3 or 4 minute drum solo during the set.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

QUESTION --- how do you know if your overplaying ??

ANSWER --- when your bass player slaps you round the head with his guitar

lol

User Info Menu

thats so funny i think i might puke
    Oh tell me where your freedom lies
    The street are fields that never die.
    Deliver me from reasons why
    You`d rather cry
    I`d rather fly.

User Info Menu

u know ur overplaying when u hit the drum and ur stick goes through both heads, (top and bottom) and bounces off the floor, goes up and hits the ceiling, then crashes through another drum, bounces up, and then u catch it.
    Thats overplaying.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

yeah what they all said!
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pinkfloyd
    IMO if the band say that you`re over playing then you probably are .It`s very very easy to do especially as you get better .Remember also that the band is a TEAM of people creating a sound ..if the sound isn`t right for every member then it`s not right .play it without fills and see where it takes you .IMO less is better ,otherwise you just look like a showoff and all that will do is get you a bad reputation and work will become harder to find .I`ve heard a lot over the years ppl say "the band were great ...drummer was a bit bizzy ....but.."

i use this simple rule

KISS it

Keep
    It
    Sweet &
    Simple

leave the 3 min solos for the practice kit !!

dave
    kissing is gross man!!!
    I'm Cassandra
    I love my boyfriend Derek
    and I love my two firebellytoads, named Heartburn and Mountain.

Jeremiah 29:11
    For i know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper not harm you, plans to bring you hope and a future.

http://www.myspace.com/loveonegod

User Info Menu

kissings great .....especially with tongues !!! tee hee