Thread: Will Concerts ever stay the same?

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Will Concerts ever stay the same?

Dear Drumchatters, I bet most of you played and/or attended concerts in your life. The older ones (I’m not that generation by the way) will remember how it has been in the 70‘s/80‘s or 90‘s during and on the end of the concerts when the band members tossed picks and sticks into the crowd. As for the Drummers back then, I heard that they threw their sticks in a stunt way from let them bounce off their drums/cymbals and at least of the knowledge from someone who wasn’t born yet/too small to remember and also was raised in a different country I can’t think of any injuries or lawsuits.

If you go to a concert nowadays it’s widespread after, that someone was injured from a too hard and wrong thrown Drumstick and even here in Europe it gets either banned out some venues or it has (which is actually good) very strict safety rules, because the majority still doesn’t care and throws the sticks way too hard, lawsuits are pretty common.

On the other hand the current generation of drummers (that’s said for Germany only, as I don’t know about your Country) is negative on throwing out sticks.

What’s your view on that? Do you think that there is a way to throw out sticks safely? Why are there today so many lawsuits? Do you think it will be completely banned in the future, so it’s all simply setting up, playing and packing your stuff and leave the venue?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Will Concerts ever stay the same?

Why are there today so many lawsuits?
    Largely because unscrupulous lawyers go looking for them. They get paid whether their client wins or not.

As far as my opinion; I'm a common sense guy. Propelling a drumstick into a crowd is like throwing rocks into the crowd. It's just asking for trouble. Of course there's going to be injuries. Nobody's going to get hurt from a pick flung into the crowd. But it's a pick (insert 'duh' emoji here). So, I have no problem with banning drumstick throwing myself. If my daughter was in that audience, I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that a flying drumstick is coming her way.

P.S. Welcome to DrumChat Chlistadthipster!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Largely because unscrupulous lawyers go looking for them. They get paid whether their client wins or not.

As far as my opinion; I'm a common sense guy. Propelling a drumstick into a crowd is like throwing rocks into the crowd. It's just asking for trouble. Of course there's going to be injuries. Nobody's going to get hurt from a pick flung into the crowd. But it's a pick (insert 'duh' emoji here). So, I have no problem with banning drumstick throwing myself. If my daughter was in that audience, I wouldn't be comfortable knowing that a flying drumstick is coming her way.

P.S. Welcome to DrumChat Chlistadthipster!
    Thanks Tom! I’m surprised that you as a Drummer yourself are ok with banning it. I haven’t thrown a stick into Audiences myself and, (not just because it will be not allowed anymore in a few years I think) if I’d have to do it, I’d be very nervous because I would be worried to be not careful enough.

Let me tell you something.
    There is a nationally very wellknown professional Drummer and back in 2014 he became an Endorser for Los Cabos and his own signature stick.

When he announced his endorsement he left a message that left people like „does he really throw that hard and wrong that we all get hit in the face?“

Years later I met him in a chat and we spoke about gear, lessons and that post. It then turned kind of out, that he just was pretty nervous about throwing his sticks into the audience and because he was worried to accidentally hit someone he kind of warned the fans through that posting that there is a risk that he might fail and accidentally hurt them, but years passed and he is in reality very considerate and said he that he only throws into the first row after having eye contact with the person and letting her/him know (don’t know how, tho) that he’s throwing/tossing (is there even a difference between these words?) his sticks, after the person agrees, he slowly flips them and then the actual throw happens, I don’t know anything exact but I don’t think it’s thrown hard tho, all I know is, that he never hit someone.

I’m not completely against throwing sticks into the audience because I think (although I don’t know how it is exactly done) that there is a way to do it, with very low risk to hurt someone.

To the lawyers thing:
    I wonder if they’d succeed in Germany?

User Info Menu

It is so simple to see the enthusiastic fans in the first few rows.
    I'm not talking about the drunk/high idiot trying to attract attention...…...I'm talking about the true fan.
    You can recognize them quickly from the drum throne.
    After the encore, walk out to two of those fans -- hand them a stick and thank them for their support.
    They will remember you forever and nobody gets hurt.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    It is so simple to see the enthusiastic fans in the first few rows.

I'm not talking about the drunk/high idiot trying to attract attention...…...I'm talking about the true fan.
    You can recognize them quickly from the drum throne.
    After the encore, walk out to two of those fans -- hand them a stick and thank them for their support.
    They will remember you forever and nobody gets hurt.

That’s true. I just have recognized that except the singer no one speaks and always wondered if there’s like a rule that other band members aren’t allowed to speak or so.

Handing out a stick is a safe and fantastic way, but I know very less musicians who are doing it, actually only Bela B from the Band „Die Ärzte“ (The Doctors), at least I’ve heard so.

My Brother was on a Concert of another in Germany very well known Punkband and stood first row, now you’d expect that the drummer would throw to those people in the first row as it needs not that much impact - wrong!

My brother told me that he was overthrown and the stick, fast as Lightning, landed in the second row, hit the guy behind him.

Good to know, so I know that I definitely won’t go to their concerts.

User Info Menu

I used to throw mine after every gig. Something I won't be doing in the future though.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

When I was in my signed band and on tour we had so many awesome nights and shows. At the end of the night if I had any broken sticks I myself indeed loved the thrill of tossing them into the crowd. With that said though... I made sure I only tossed it to people paying attention and watching/reaching out to receive the stick. I also never threw them to the back of any venues or deep into the crowd. Only groups closer towards the front. I also made just I did the old center hold lob with the stick.

Now, fast forward 15 years later... I'm only playing bar gigs and live parties. . . My days of big venues was short lived.
    No one wants a stick from a local bar band lol so I no longer need to worry.

Now, when I go to shows and I see my favorite bands I hope they toss sticks into the crowd hahahaha but it never happens.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I used to throw mine after every gig. Something I won't be doing in the future though.
    What is the reason for not doing it in future? How did you do it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    When I was in my signed band and on tour we had so many awesome nights and shows. At the end of the night if I had any broken sticks I myself indeed loved the thrill of tossing them into the crowd. With that said though... I made sure I only tossed it to people paying attention and watching/reaching out to receive the stick. I also never threw them to the back of any venues or deep into the crowd. Only groups closer towards the front. I also made just I did the old center hold lob with the stick.

Now, fast forward 15 years later... I'm only playing bar gigs and live parties. . . My days of big venues was short lived.
    No one wants a stick from a local bar band lol so I no longer need to worry.

Now, when I go to shows and I see my favorite bands I hope they toss sticks into the crowd hahahaha but it never happens.
    What is a center hold lob?
    Yes, I can imagine it’s very thrilling and I guess you were pretty nervous before the first time, at least I’d have been.

User Info Menu

I used to throw my sticks to the audience. I stopped after they started throwing them back.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I used to throw my sticks to the audience. I stopped after they started throwing them back.
    Have heard about it. How did you even pick the people you threw your sticks to? Or did you randomly throw them?

User Info Menu

Had to delete the vaccine comments. Unfortunately, it's become another hot topic that divides us. Per forum rules, please avoid these topics if you will. - Thx!

User Info Menu

Had to delete the vaccine comments. Unfortunately, it's become another hot topic that divides us. Per forum rules, please avoid these topics if you will. - Thx!
    I’m sorry, Tom! Didn’t mean to violate the Forum rules.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chlistadthipster View Post
    I’m sorry, Tom! Didn’t mean to violate the Forum rules.
    No problem man. Not everyone looks over them when joining but it is recommended. Thx!

User Info Menu

It just keeps getting quieter and quieter in here...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It just keeps getting quieter and quieter in here...
    Well, I can understand him. He maybe could make a section where this is allowed.

User Info Menu

Well, I can understand him. He maybe could make a section where this is allowed.
    Nah, it is a little better than facebook here. On FB and most public forums for that matter you can loudly voice and post your opinion as long as you stay in line with the popular opinions on subjects but if your against it and try to voice a differing opinion it is a violation and you are censored and mocked, where as here the whole subject is a violation not just the one popular side of the topic like the rest of society. Still frustrating but at least a little more fair.
    Last edited by MDK; 06-02-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nah, it is a little better than facebook here. On FB and most public forums for that matter you can loudly voice and post your opinion as long as you stay in line with the popular opinions on subjects but if your against it and try to voice a differing opinion it is a violation and you are censored and mocked, where as here the whole subject is a violation not just the one popular side of the topic like the rest of society. Still frustrating but at least a little more fair.
    Maybe your right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Thanks MDK. You get it.

User Info Menu

What is the reason for not doing it in future? How did you do it?
    Would always launch them (not too strongly) Just not worth it nowadays in case it hurt someone.
    I just give them away now to people at the front
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Would always launch them (not too strongly) Just not worth it nowadays in case it hurt someone.
    I just give them away now to people at the front
    What does „launch“ mean? My dictionary doesn’t know as well.

User Info Menu

What does „launch“ mean? My dictionary doesn’t know as well.
    Basically chuck/throw them into the crowd pretty deep

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Basically chuck/throw them into the crowd pretty deep
    Thank you. So, this would require to throw very hard?

User Info Menu

Thank you. So, this would require to throw very hard?
    Sorry, 'launch' is an English term to throw
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Sorry, 'launch' is an English term to throw
    Oh, now I got it. Thank you. I always wondered if there is a technique for it?