Thread: Internal mic’ing

User Info Menu

Default Internal mic’ing

Changing things up a bit on both of my gig kits. I’m going to install the Kelly Shu kits in both of my kick drums and start mic’ing them internally. My kick was mic’d internally at Saturday’s show and I really like the sound it produced. I should have it all set up and ready to go for our next show.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Internal mic’ing

I want to do that also but I keep changing kits all the time lol I'd have to buy so many!

User Info Menu

I installed a Kelly Shu on my Silverstar Mirage kick, it sounds great and saves me time during setup. Unfortunately the band I use that kit for hasn't been gigging lately, and I haven't decided whether I want to move it to a different kit.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I mounted mine years ago from the bass drum shell. Not concerned with drilling since I prefer a thuddier kick anyway. Soundmen love it! They just plug into the bass drum and go! I just wish I had put one in my other kit. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

User Info Menu

I’ve got a Kelly Shu on the way and picked up an Audix D6 for it as well.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Got the Kelly Shu and Audix D6 mounted in my DW kick drum tonight. I’ll do some audio tests here soon!

F8411A95-6E60-4C3D-830E-BA7FD367E57B.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Got the Kelly Shu and Audix D6 mounted in my DW kick drum tonight. I’ll do some audio tests here soon!

F8411A95-6E60-4C3D-830E-BA7FD367E57B.jpg
    That's so futuristic looking!

User Info Menu

Looks like a great job!

User Info Menu

I decided to get a second Kelly Shu after seeing one for a great price. I'll install it on my current gigging kit, just have to decide which mic to mount on it.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

DSC02503.jpgI went the easy for me route! lol. No tools but a drum key to remove the BD heads and a small pair of scissors for installing the FX port on the batter side. The foam l stuffed in an around the XLR cable going through the port just in case the mic wants to pickup slapping noise on the FX port. You can pull the cable back and forth and the foam stay's put! lol. I can leave the mic & cable in the shell or pull it out in 2min. through the front bass port. The mic stand is settled in with heavy duty Velcro! a Shure 91a will lie in the channel perfectly with Velcro on the underside of that style mic. I have no cable running through my bass drum shell at all, just the batter. The sound is not affected at all! DSC02721.jpgDSC02720.jpg
    Last edited by drummerMD; 07-10-2021 at 01:02 PM.