Thread: Common Mistakes?

User Info Menu

Default Common Mistakes?

Just wondering if any of you knew any common mistakes or wrong doings self-taught newbies make?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticklah View Post
    Just wondering if any of you knew any common mistakes or wrong doings self-taught newbies make?
    Not holding sticks correctly and not practicing rudiments just for starters.......

Welcome to Drum Chat

User Info Menu

Is that what I'm supposed to be doing? LOL

Welcome to Drum Chat, Sticklah!

Another common thing that new drummers do, is trying to play at the speed that they hear in songs. In order to get timing right, newbies need to slow things down, learn them correctly, then bring them up to speed.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hand technique. wrong hand technique may cause damage to arms.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sticklah View Post
    Newbies often poke the stick in their eye. They also sit backwards on the drums. Make sure you're facing the drums with your feet on the pedals.

User Info Menu

Oh, and despite appearances otherwise, RoadDebris is the biggest smartass in this group, not me.

Seriously... Welcome to our forum. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile. If you need help with anything at all, simply ask and we'll help if we can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Newbies often poke the stick in their eye. They also sit backwards on the drums. Make sure you're facing the drums with your feet on the pedals.
    ooooohhhh... that's why my eyes hurt.... face the drums? BRILLIANT!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

As opposed to the ear, that's ok, right?

User Info Menu

your feet on the pedals.
    are they those accelerator looking things that came with the kit. i have just been kicking the bass drum flinstone style until now. I better pull those 'pedals' out of my car and hook them up to the bass drum

LOL, welcome to Drum Chat. Just be patient with anything you learn and dont rush.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    are they those accelerator looking things that came with the kit. i have just been kicking the bass drum flinstone style until now. I better pull those 'pedals' out of my car and hook them up to the bass drum
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Being inconsiderate of their neighbors' ears. I was soooo guilty of this.
    No, I still won't play Wipe Out.

User Info Menu

Don't play barefoot until you feel you have total control over your kick beaters. Having one of those babies hit you on the top of the foot hurts like hell. I used to also make the mistake of holding my right stick with only the first finger and thumb so rolls were a piece of cake... Do not do that lol. Correctly holding your sticks makes a world of difference, you may not realize it now, but if you want to ever further your skill it's a must. The same goes with practicing and getting down your rudiments.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Setting up your kit all wrong is a killer.

Make sure everything is setup within easy reach and ergonomically so you don't hurt yourself or just make it a pain in the butt to reach your cymbals and things.

A lot of new, young drummers love to set everything up so that it look cool, but who the heck decides that needing an elevator to get to your crash cymbal is cool?

Look up some websites or look in some books for some tips... or ask the kids here.

User Info Menu

Getting some fundamental training is a faster way to get to the playing level that you want to be at. There are some good self taught drummers out there and they may have a different opinion but understanding why the snare is getting hit on 2 & 4 and knowing what time & meter is, can not only help you learn better and faster, it will help you communicate with other musicians if you ever want to play in a band. Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Don't play barefoot until you feel you have total control over your kick beaters. Having one of those babies hit you on the top of the foot hurts like hell. I used to also make the mistake of holding my right stick with only the first finger and thumb so rolls were a piece of cake... Do not do that lol. Correctly holding your sticks makes a world of difference, you may not realize it now, but if you want to ever further your skill it's a must. The same goes with practicing and getting down your rudiments.
    I used to do that as well, except I used my middle finger as well just not the back ones. Hell I still haven't really got out of the habit, when doing a quick fill with a roll around the toms I might do this.

User Info Menu

Timing timing timing............did I mention timing? It's VERY important and without it, we're WORTHLESS as drummers and nothing else matters. Blessings.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I used to do that as well, except I used my middle finger as well just not the back ones. Hell I still haven't really got out of the habit, when doing a quick fill with a roll around the toms I might do this.
    True, I still tend to get back into it within a roll. I've recently figured out exactly how to get that roll sound without actually dragging on toms.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

A lot of beginners forget to use a metronome when practicing.

User Info Menu

my bigest problems when i started
    1. not counting.
    2. holding the sticks wrong.
    3. set up all wrong like a lefty with my toms set up like a right handed player. (but this tought me how to play with ither hand leading somehow.)
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

forgetting to close the curtains when you practice naked.
    not holding the sticks correctly, always warm up first, especially if you are naked. oh yeh and dont try that special triplet if you are naked.

User Info Menu

don't forget to clean your seat after you practise naked - THAT's an important one too.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?