Thread: Learning new songs

User Info Menu

Default Learning new songs

What is your method for learning new songs? I know a lot of different people have a lot of different ways.

For me I will always listen to each song numerous times. I’ll work to chart the song, then will also continue to listen to get the feel and make mental notes.

I can absolutely wear a song out from listening to it so many times. I’ve also been known to listen to them over and over again on the way to a show to keep my mind fresh.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning new songs

I like to find the drums only track of the song if available.
    Years ago, I would play the album on 16 speed to try and figure out certain fills.
    I like to play along with the tune, headphones on. I can practice the feel and speed of it best this way for me.

User Info Menu

Here’s one that surprised me. Way busier than I thought. Double tracked in spots?

Last edited by Olimpass; 07-24-2021 at 12:17 AM.

User Info Menu

Depending on the song I will approach it differently. Recently for my new drum covers I pick a song and for a day or two I put it on the playlist and loop that song over and over... so as I'm driving to work, home from work, or out running errands I get that song in my head and start picking out all the different things. Then I spend another day or two working on that song in sections and then in full.

User Info Menu

I usually listen to it 2 or 3 times and print out the lyrics. Then I play along to it with headphones on as best I can while stopping, rewinding, and repeating certain fills to try and nail the feel down. Finally I watch drum covers or how to video's on youtube which are 98% of the time eye opening for me because there is usually a part I missed completely or a part I am making wayyyy too difficult.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Hear song, play song. No problem.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I can absolutely wear a song out from listening to it so many times. I’ve also been known to listen to them over and over again on the way to a show to keep my mind fresh.
    I do that too. I listen to it dozens of times to memorize as much as possible. I usually don't have problems with most of the grooves and feels so I go right to any tricky parts. That could be a bar of 2 or 3 thrown into an otherwise 4/4 song or a certain way they play a drum fill. If the song is somewhat involved, I'll make a quick chart as a guideline. I too like to look at drum covers and watch other's approaches to the song. You can learn a lot that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    My method as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rick when are you going to post any drum covers? I wanna see that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I too like to look at drum covers and watch other's approaches to the song. You can learn a lot that way.
    I have a feeling alot of guys will not admit to that.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I try to find out what is exactly played in this song, if I can find out myself I get some sheet music paper and write it down, if I can’t, I’m trying to find a friendly fellow drummer who can tell me and then I write the parts on sheet music and try to learn part by Part isolated and put it together, then I try to play along with the song.