Thread: UGH ! Selling Gear

User Info Menu

Default UGH ! Selling Gear

I know many people at this site get frustrated finding out how difficult it can be to sell gear...…...especially shipped gear.
    I know a few at this site that have sold a lot of gear at a lot of $$$ loss.

GC won't give you anything for it......most other buyers want a price break, even if your price is already at 50% of what you paid.
    Basically...…unless you have something in very high demand, you are left feeling like you are giving gear away.
    I got tired of the battle trying to sell a practice kit and decided to do something different.

I am giving the shell pack away to my old percussion section/music school at the college I attended many years ago.
    They will get years of great use out of these drums with instruction to young adults...….and they need the gear.

So to all the tight buyers I dealt with -- your loss !
    Now I feel better.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 07-28-2021 at 03:20 PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: UGH ! Selling Gear

What a great idea. Moves them for you while helping others. Sometimes money is overrated.

User Info Menu

This is why I'm a hoarder not a seller lol

But... it's like that with everything. We are doing so much work to the house and I put stuff for sale super cheap and yet people still want free.
    Drives me nuts.

User Info Menu

That's the problem with dealing with people............................................ ...................they are freakin' people. I have put the Black Panther snare drum up for sale 2 times and not even a nibble and I was asking $100 less than what I paid for it.

From what I have seen over a lot of years is that people that I have to deal with (as opposed to friends) lose 75 IQ points as soon as I say "Yeah, I'll take that". There have been a few that were so obviously the result of inbreeding that you have to get away fast before you turn up on the menu. I talk to my dog and he makes more sense than some college educated people I've dealt with.

Zack, they not only want it for free, they want you to pay them for taking it off your hands. The old days were better. You would say to some guy " I'll give you these 2 mules and my wife for your ranch". He's happy because he now has transportation and someone to wash his clothes and you got the Ponderosa. I swear, if it wasn't for scotch, I would have gone Hannibal Lector of someone decades ago.

C'est la vie
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    This is why I'm a hoarder not a seller lol
    Ha-ha! Please tell me you're a 'clean' hoarder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Ha-ha! Please tell me you're a 'clean' hoarder.
    have you seen my music room and my tool shop? Definitely a clean hoarder

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    have you seen my music room and my tool shop? Definitely a clean hoarder
    I thought so. I knew a hoarder once and I'm still scarred by some of what I saw. Moldy food, dirt, stench, etc. It was so gross!

User Info Menu

I have confirmation from the Foundation of the College that I am providing a gift in kind of $X,XXX.
    I will deliver the shell pack in person at the campus in Dallas on August 19th.
    I'm feeling really good about this donation and how well it is being received.
    There will be many young adults over many years that will benefit from this gift.

New Drums 003.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I have confirmation from the Foundation of the College that I am providing a gift in kind of $X,XXX.
    I will deliver the shell pack in person at the campus in Dallas on August 19th.
    I'm feeling really good about this donation and how well it is being received.
    There will be many young adults over many years that will benefit from this gift.

Well Done Sir!

User Info Menu

I'm thankful I downsized my collection a few years ago. It's been a real struggle selling anything high-end the past few years. I think there's just an abundance of good gear around now. There hasn't really been a whole lot of innovation in the last 25 years. My 1994 Yamaha kit is just as good as a brand new one so the market is saturated. I'm also wondering if there is less demand from the kids these days. I'm not sure how many are picking up the instrument, or any instrument for that matter. The other thing is a brand new Yamaha Stage Custom can be had for $700, and its a near pro level kit so there's not much incentive buying a $3000 kit anymore.

User Info Menu

Great job and how considerate you are!!!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    What a great idea. Moves them for you while helping others. Sometimes money is overrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderstruck View Post
    Well Done Sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgraham798 View Post
    Great job and how considerate you are!!!
    Many thanks to my friends here at DC.

I remember many wonderful faculty members and fellow students at this college/music school.
    Along with the usual music theory, piano class, music lit and history, and composition, I was very fortunate to have some excellent one-on-one instruction in snare drum, tympani, and marimba, as well as drum set and percussion ensemble.
    All of it was fun and rewarding.

Providing this specific donation to this specific school makes me feel good about how this gear will be used and appreciated.
    The current percussion faculty is totally excited to receive the drums.
    And I will never be frustrated about losing money on a practice kit purchase.
    (I will always have my beloved gigging kit and everything else I need.)
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Selling is terrible.. like already said people want stuff for almost free. Since music still hasn't really come back around (will it ever) I've been playing a lot of hockey.

I have equipment I don't use anymore replaced by new stuff but also a couple of brand new never seen ice gloves that I've been trying to sell. These aren't crap gloves either.. one is a pro model.

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.1479cd23700aaa240e09250cb4f8d7cc.jpg

360268270_bluejackets2.thumb.jpg.a7cd3d4a75ade2c87984f66dadfc82bc.jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Ludwigs delivered yesterday...…..the Dept. Chairman was very happy to receive donated equipment.
    In turn, I received a tour of the music school and it is still impressive.
    I got to see the rooms that we used for private lessons and for percussion ensemble.
    There have been many changes over the years but still enough there to provide many great memories.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Ludwigs delivered yesterday...…..the Dept. Chairman was very happy to receive donated equipment.
    In turn, I received a tour of the music school and it is still impressive.
    I got to see the rooms that we used for private lessons and for percussion ensemble.
    There have been many changes over the years but still enough there to provide many great memories.
    Awesome!

User Info Menu

I just listed a bunch of stuff for sale to help fund an imminent purchase. Most of it is stuff that's been laying around taking up space and I wouldn't miss it if it were gone - except for one kit which I bought for myself as a birthday gift when I got back into playing. Kinda hope I don't get offers on that so I can tell the wife I tried to sell it and I still get to keep it. I expect to be disappointed in the response to the listings but I'll see what happens.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: