Thread: e drums

User Info Menu

Default e drums

just retired from being a paramedic after 30 years and sold our home and moved to Nashville ,no longer living in a big home I had to sell my tama kits ,im now looking for a small but good e kit for a condo that will work with headphones ,,please be patient with me as I know nothing about electronic drums ,,ill miss my acoustic tamas but at least with an e kit I can still play ,I just need guided in the proper direction ..budget I guess would be 500 and below .

User Info Menu

Default Re: e drums

My advice... save up some more money and invest in a decent E-Kit. Cheap kits are exactly that. I know most don't like to hear that but I have found with so many students kits that cheaper electronic kits have bad feels, cheap parts, horrible kit sounds and don't hold up. Doesn't mean you couldn't get lucky and find a nicer kit for your budget.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    My advice... save up some more money and invest in a decent E-Kit. Cheap kits are exactly that. I know most don't like to hear that but I have found with so many students kits that cheaper electronic kits have bad feels, cheap parts, horrible kit sounds and don't hold up. Doesn't mean you couldn't get lucky and find a nicer kit for your budget.
    I agree with Zack, at the $500 level all you will find are very entry level kits that you will not be happy with, especially coming from playing acoustic kits. Either try to increase your budget or look for a deal on a higher quality used ekit. The mid level kits from Roland or Yamaha are all great.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    I agree with Zack, at the $500 level all you will find are very entry level kits that you will not be happy with, especially coming from playing acoustic kits. Either try to increase your budget or look for a deal on a higher quality used ekit. The mid level kits from Roland or Yamaha are all great.
    thanks ,I have no problem upping my budget ,now as for brands ,,whats the better way to go ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    thanks ,I have no problem upping my budget ,now as for brands ,,whats the better way to go ?
    I have owned Alesis, Roland & Yamaha. By far, Roland is the best. I currently have a TD17kvx & it is superb. You can download real kits to it & also your own samples.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I have owned Alesis, Roland & Yamaha. By far, Roland is the best. I currently have a TD17kvx & it is superb. You can download real kits to it & also your own samples.
    are these kits compact ,space is also limited ?

User Info Menu

are these kits compact ,space is also limited ?
    Yes, Can set them up in small(ish) spaces
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I have a Yamaha DTX532 and a Roland SPD-SX, to which I added 3 pads and a kick drum trigger to create another ekit. The sounds on both brands are great and the silicon surface of the Yamaha snare pad feels good, but I like the mesh heads of the Roland PD-85 pads the best. Can't go wrong with mid level kits from either Roland or Yamaha. Alessis has some good looking kits as well, but the only personal experience I have with that brand is with the earlier version of their sample pad.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

You really have to play the kits to decide which one is best for you. My advice would be to go to music stores and play as many different kits as possible from the various brands and it will be much easier to make a decision you won't regret. I did that for years before I was ready to pull the trigger on mine. Even then I procrastinated so much my wife went and bought me one for Father's day years ago - luckily she plotted with my son and bandmate to find out which one I wanted so she could surprise me. And I've happy with it ever since.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones: