Thread: which should I get and why?

User Info Menu

Default which should I get and why?

So, been quite some time since I last posted. But the time has come to post again haha. I'm looking at getting a new drumset, and I'm very torn between the Mapex Armoury and a Tama Superstar classic. I have played Mapex and Tama in the past with Tama being my main set for most of my band playing days. With Mapex coming along and getting better and better I'm at the point where I'm trying do decide on which way to go. From what I have researched the Mapex to me looks better visually, and also has a better price tag. However I have always liked the sound of Tama. I'd like to get opinions from all of you on which way you would go and why. Now I know looks and price is all on me but it's the intangible s that I'd like to get an idea on from you all. Look forward to your replies.

User Info Menu

Default Re: which should I get and why?

I don't really keep up with the stats on drumsets like some guys do but I can offer some input on this. Go with what sounds good and feels good to you first. You can then always find a color and style you like from there. There's nothing like the feel of a good, quality sounding set of drums while you're playing. Of course, half of that is in the way you tune them.

User Info Menu

I guess I should have had a different title lol, as opposed to telling me what you think I should get, I'd like to know what you would choose out of the two kits and why that is.

User Info Menu

Mapex is coming out stronger and stronger but for me I just can't see me spending some of the money on a Mapex. Something about it I've always just thought of cheaper kits and hardware. Tama however has always had a strong name and quality gear. I played a Tama a long time ago and loved it and regret not having it still. I feel the Tama will hold value and name longer and for me I just have a better sense of comfort in the Tama name. But don't get me wrong, I think the new Mapex is amazing and super impressive like the new Mapex Saturn series

User Info Menu

I personally would not own anything by Mapex. That's just me because I've simply never come across any Mapex products that weren't junk. That may be a coincidence and is not meant to impune anyone else's choices, decisions and/or feelings. Tama on the other hand has been making top quality instruments, whether Star, Star Classic and/or on down the list, for decades. (1974) There is little comparison between Tama and Mapex... again... in my opinion.

User Info Menu

I agree with these guys.
    If you want Mapex, think Saturn; if you want Tama, think Starclassic.
    You will not appreciate the lower lines of either for long.
    Between the two, my choice would be Tama.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

If my budget allows it Saturn and starclassic is where I would be looking for sure. But definitely the starclassic. I mean Tama has always been what I liked ever since I first saw them in like 1998. I saw David Silveria's starclassic maples and the was my dream. However money determined that I get the rockstar customs back then. I guess one of the big things for me now is that I would just be playing at home, dont know if I will ever gig again. But I'm not excluding the possibility. I just need to determine what is a price range I am comfortable with if I do just play at home you know. Do I pay and get my dream set or just get a mid level set that will do the job and not be garbage.

User Info Menu

For the money I would go Mapex Armory all the way. I have had a few bad experiences with Tama in the past but I am in the minority on that one. Nothing about that Mapex Armory says cheap. If you have a chance to hit and look at both in the store do it. I played a Superstar in GC a few months ago and was very disappointed in the dead sound plus visually it was a very bland looking kit. It was Hard to believe it was maple of any kind but heads can make a huge difference.. The armory sounds good and looks stunning IMO but I personally like BD mounted rack toms so I doubt I would get either. I would actually get the Mapex Mars. For the money they cannot be beat. If you still cannot decide try to call each companies customer support and see who does better there. All that being said I am back with a band after over a years break and looking for a smaller gigging kit (2nd kit) and believe it or not the Tama B/W is in the running. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm : )
    Last edited by MDK; 08-30-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

So I was looking and found a used Mapex Saturn V with all the accessories including snare for $2000 cad. So I priced out the Armoury kit with the accessories and stuff and it comes out to $2200-$2300. Now I'm really torn haha. I'm going to get a bunch of pics of the kit off the guy tonight and see how it all looks, if it looks good I'm thinking the Saturn might be the way to go.