Thread: How much is to much?! Gigging in one weekend that is...

User Info Menu

Default How much is to much?! Gigging in one weekend that is...

So this weekend was INTENSE to say the least... I just played four shows. One on Friday, two on Saturday and another today on Sunday. Worst part, the two on Saturday were both outdoor festivals at a blazing 98* temperature. When we finished the first show on Saturday I had to go to a walgreens to buy supplies for my hands because they were bleeding. My body aches and I'm sore everywhere! At 38 I'm starting to realize I can't gig like I use to! And the hardest part was just all the unpacking, setting up, tearing down and packing back up! That's the worst especially in the blazing heat. . .

What did you all do this weekend? lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: How much is to much?! Gigging in one weekend that is...

I would do it if there were back line kits lol.

I’ll play four shows this week, but they are all at the same location. Set up and tear down once!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

38 WOW!!!!! Yeah, that 38 mark is a real killer. I have a vague recollection of being 38 in the dim, distant past.

I think that after 38, I turned 39,. but I might have jumped directly to 50 and passed all the joys of the 40's.

You could consider playing the flute and leave the drums in your drum room. Just a thought.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    So this weekend was INTENSE to say the least... I just played four shows. One on Friday, two on Saturday and another today on Sunday. Worst part, the two on Saturday were both outdoor festivals at a blazing 98* temperature. When we finished the first show on Saturday I had to go to a walgreens to buy supplies for my hands because they were bleeding. My body aches and I'm sore everywhere! At 38 I'm starting to realize I can't gig like I use to! And the hardest part was just all the unpacking, setting up, tearing down and packing back up! That's the worst especially in the blazing heat. . .
    Playing in that degree of heat is tough on anyone at any age. But if your hands are bleeding, I would suggest lightening up your playing a bit and letting the mics do the work, especially when you have a lot of gigs lined up like that. I'm a hard hitter but you have to lay back when there's that much intensity on a consistent basis, or you'll pay a price for it. Another tip is to hire a young kid to help you load/unload the drums and act as your drum tech when you have that many gigs in a row. I used to do this and it's worth the extra money. Kids usually don't want a lot of money. They're just happy to bask in your local stardom (so to speak) and be a part of your experience.

What did you all do this weekend? lol
    Went to the beach!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Playing in that degree of heat is tough on anyone at any age. But if your hands are bleeding, I would suggest lightening up your playing a bit and letting the mics do the work, especially when you have a lot of gigs lined up like that. I'm a hard hitter but you have to lay back when there's that much intensity on a consistent basis, or you'll pay a price for it. Another tip is to hire a young kid to help you load/unload the drums and act as your drum tech when you have that many gigs in a row. I used to do this and it's worth the extra money. Kids usually don't want a lot of money. They're just happy to bask in your local stardom (so to speak) and be a part of your experience.

Went to the beach!!
    for sure I need to rely more on the MICs... I was just all pumped up and full of adrenaline for the new bands first two gigs! ugh

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    for sure I need to rely more on the MICs... I was just all pumped up and full of adrenaline for the new bands first two gigs! ugh
    I get it. I usually do that in the gym after I've taken some time off. I get excited about lifting again and overdo it. Last time, I gave myself a hernia.

User Info Menu

Spaz...……….
    I like to play gigs with new sticks...……..I use Firth.
    The lacquer coat on brand new Firth sticks will give me blisters and my hands really hurt (almost always on the snare/left side).
    I would tape up for gigs but a few years ago I started using a golf glove...…….works much better.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Spaz...……….
    I like to play gigs with new sticks...……..I use Firth.
    The lacquer coat on brand new Firth sticks will give me blisters and my hands really hurt (almost always on the snare/left side).
    I would tape up for gigs but a few years ago I started using a golf glove...…….works much better.
    funny they were brand new vic firths.....