Thread: Yes another new drum set for MDK..blah, blah, blah...

User Info Menu

Default Yes another new drum set for MDK..blah, blah, blah...

Well after a longer than anticipated break I am back in a cover band and starting to gig again. Currently have 2 kits, My Ludwig CM and a well used Premier Artists birch I picked up off CL for $200. I have gigged the Premier twice so far and she sounds pretty good but I am getting tired of lugging it up and down the bass players house for practices and then for gigs so looking to add a 3rd kit that I can mostly leave packed and ready to go in my house along with my own ludwig at home kit.

I plan on gigging the Luddy as well when it is a decent venue, but so far we have done 2 wild private parties with sketchy stages so better safe than sorry.* Currently gigging 1 up 1dwn and love that set up but may want to add another floor tom in future. I also would like a diferent sounding kit from the 2 I already have and a much easier to handle 20 x 14 bass drum if possible and the rack tom needs to be mounted to the bd.

Not many people make the 20 x 14" bass drum anymore so I have it narrowed down to the Gretsch Catalina Club (mahogany) *and the Tama B/W starclassic with the Tama coming in at about twice the price of the Gretsch. I listen to them both in person and really like the sound of both of them with the edge to the Tama. Both sound uniquely different from my other 2 kits as well as each other.

I Have had my own bad issues with Tama in the past but the sound and looks of these B/W kits is making it very tough to not go that way. Love the memory locks and how it is seemingly made for gigging in all aspects. On the other hand the Gretsch sounds really good and looks pretty awesome in the Blue satin but the hardware seems a little cheesy for weekly gigging.

Currently talking with a distributor to see how fast they can get the kit because they do not have any of the 2 kits mentioned in stock, They have a Tama B/W in stock but it is Piano Black and I would prefer the Blue ripple if possible but not a deal breaker.
    Last edited by MDK; 08-31-2021 at 08:18 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yes another new drum set for MDK..blah, blah, blah...

2 boxes arriving sometme today...
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

That is awesome!!! You can never have enough drums haha

User Info Menu

She is here, Hoping 3rd time is a charm.
    20210904_080842.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MDK; 09-04-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Well I Unboxed her yesterday and noticed the 12" rack tom looks like it was dropped. The batter side die cast hoop is bent. Shell looks intact but I have not removed the heads yet. Still waiting to hear back from distributor. Rest of kit looked good and the piano black lacquer looks phenomenal. Not sure if you can tell in the pics but it is bent pretty good and doubt it will hold tuning at all. Hope they can send me a new one fairly soon, was hoping to gig her in 2 weeks. Seems the drum gods just do not want me to play Tama LOL

20210906_162038.jpg
    20210906_162118.jpg
    20210906_162050.jpg
    Last edited by MDK; 09-07-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Delivery service just doesn't care anymore..... shipping anything anymore is just the worst

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Delivery service just doesn't care anymore..... shipping anything anymore is just the worst
    Yeah I agree, it was packaged very very well too.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Maybe it was missed in manufacturing and QC. Let us know how they respond.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Maybe it was missed in manufacturing and QC. Let us know how they respond.
    I will, I am leaning towards a QC issue as well. I think in order for fed ex to damage the diecast hoop that bad the shell would be compromised as well and it does not seem to be although I will remove the hoop and head tonight and make sure. Distributor just asked for pics of the Box to give to Tama. Hope they do not delay too long I was really hoping to gig this baby soon. 14" floor tom sounds really good with just stock heads
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Update, I was asked to provide photo's of the hoops, the boxes, and then the serial #'s inside the drum by the distributor who is still talking with Tama. I registered my warranty on Tama's site as well so I really hope to get an email stating my new hoop is on it's way today? Since I have had the kit for 10 days now and have not been able to play her.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

That has to be a QC issue; I think that hoop was out-of-round before it was installed.
    The history of Gretsch reflects that cast hoops were originally introduced as a way to create a physically strong/solid drum with a thinner shell and no re-rings.
    Once the cast hoop was properly installed, the drum was strengthened and much more difficult to damage.
    The hoop would not be compromised like that because the shell and the hoop are now mutually stronger/benefitting.
    The hoop supports the shell......and the shell supports the hoop.
    However, if you were to drop one, the floor might have a dent...…………..
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Yes at this point I have no doubt it happened before installation. No way the shell would have survived that dent. On a positive note the distributor just sent word that Tama is sending a new hoop to me "fingers crossed".
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

well Tama got back to me and said they will send out a new hoop but do not expect it till November? LOL I called distributor and got an rma # and am returning it today. Too bad rest of kit sounded great but I really wanted a different color anyway and I am not waiting 2 months for a hoop. Oh well someday I will own a Tama with no issues : )
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    well Tama got back to me and said they will send out a new hoop but do not expect it till November? LOL I called distributor and got an rma # and am returning it today. Too bad rest of kit sounded great but I really wanted a different color anyway and I am not waiting 2 months for a hoop. Oh well someday I will own a Tama with no issues : )
    Damn, you would think they would have those hoops stored in the warehouse for occasions like this.

User Info Menu

Damn, you would think they would have those hoops stored in the warehouse for occasions like this.
    Packed it up and mailed it yesterday with an rma #, got home tonight and received an email from Tama saying they just sent the hoop with a tracking # Ughhhh WTH!!
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Packed it up and mailed it yesterday with an rma #, got home tonight and received an email from Tama saying they just sent the hoop with a tracking # Ughhhh WTH!!
    Whoa! The plot thickens!

User Info Menu

Whoa! The plot thickens!
    I told Tama I returned it and they recalled the hoop so not a big deal. I will wait, leaning towards ordering the color I truly wanted but tama rep said 3-6 month lead time from when they get the confirmed order.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy