Thread: Afraid of learning Heel Up

User Info Menu

Question Afraid of learning Heel Up

Hey there, yet I’ve played Heel Down (I don’t give guarantee that it is 100% correct because I kind of did it naturally) and my Teacher yesterday introduced me to Heel Up and was really strict about it, that I have to learn it. But I’m actually very afraid of trying to learn it, as the consequences of the last try back in 2015 was, that I was unable to bend my knee for like three weeks and I’m worried that it will happen again, that something more worse will happen or that it is very painful in general.

Do you have any advice for me how to learn it without getting injured? What do I have to expect? Is it very painful even if you’d do it right?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Afraid of learning Heel Up

what is your age? There are plenty of professional drummers who play heel down. I usually switch back and forth but I cannot play heel up for long either but if I had a situation like you describe I would not do it. Do not ever let anyone make you do something that makes you feel uncomfortable or causes injury. Talk to your instructor and tell him/her your concerns. If they are any good they will understand and work with you.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    what is your age? There are plenty of professional drummers who play heel down. I usually switch back and forth but I cannot play heel up for long either but if I had a situation like you describe I would not do it. Do not ever let anyone make you do something that makes you feel uncomfortable or causes injury. Unless you have to play heel up to work and the government mandates heel up I think you still have a choice. Talk to your instructor and tell him/her your concerns. If they are any good they will understand and work with you.
    I’m 26, I spoke with him yesterday and he kind of insisted on it and I felt like there isn’t much of a choice, also heel up is taught in any German Musicschool and is seen like the Goldstandard.

User Info Menu

I have played heel down all of my playing life and it has done everything that a heel up player can do.

The way I look at it is: He (she) can suggest it, talk about what benefits there are to using it ( although I really don't see any), and why he (she) uses it, but to insist that you "HAVE" to use it is BS.

Tell him no, that you are happy with heel down and if he insists on being adamant about it, go get another teacher.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have played heel down all of my playing life and it has done everything that a heel up player can do.

The way I look at it is: He (she) can suggest it, talk about what benefits there are to using it ( although I really don't see any), and why he (she) uses it, but to insist that you "HAVE" to use it is BS.

Tell him no, that you are happy with heel down and if he insists on being adamant about it, go get another teacher.
    Thank you! I find it really interesting, that it would be possible to get speed and volume with heel down. Please tell me more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chlistadthipster View Post
    Hey there, yet I’ve played Heel Down (I don’t give guarantee that it is 100% correct because I kind of did it naturally) and my Teacher yesterday introduced me to Heel Up and was really strict about it, that I have to learn it. But I’m actually very afraid of trying to learn it, as the consequences of the last try back in 2015 was, that I was unable to bend my knee for like three weeks and I’m worried that it will happen again, that something more worse will happen or that it is very painful in general.

Do you have any advice for me how to learn it without getting injured? What do I have to expect? Is it very painful even if you’d do it right?

Absolutely go with heel up. Listen to your teacher. I've been where you are. I switched from heel down to heel up when I was young. Heel down is not wrong, it's just limiting. If you plan on being an advanced, modern player, heel up will give you more freedom and ability to play not only more powerful with your bass drum when needed but you will have more freedom for speed when wanting to play doubles and very fast 16th's or 16th note triplets. Any pain your feeling is most likely just an adjustment but see a doctor about it if it continues. Make sure you're not sitting too close to your bass drum. The heel up technique, if played correctly, will ultimately feel very natural. With both legs heel up, you'll be like a marionette puppet. You'll be floating freely as your torso is centered. This freedom will enable you to play just about anything effortlessly.

Do this test: Place your palm down on a table and tap your fingers as fast as you can for an extended period of time (keep your palm against the table). Do you see how limiting this is? Now, lift your palm about 2" from the table and do the same thing by tapping your fingers for an extended period of time. Do you see how this frees you? It is the mechanics of the body placement and that's why most pros swear by using the heel up technique.

Is it very painful even if you’d do it right?
    No, not at all.

User Info Menu

Like Tom said: if heel up is causing you pain, you are probably sitting too close or too far from your bass drum. It may be that you're unconsciously adding a forward kick motion/movement to the stroke instead of floating your leg using ankle and toes/ball of foot and the wonders of gravity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Like Tom said: if heel up is causing you pain, you are probably sitting too close or too far from your bass drum. It may be that you're unconsciously adding a forward kick motion/movement to the stroke instead of floating your leg using ankle and toes/ball of foot and the wonders of gravity.
    It didn’t hurt while doing it but directly after it kind of started burning on shin, right under the knee, on top of the knee and sometimes I even feel it on the spot between leg and foot, it’s not a very huge pain it is light to medium and yet I don’t seem to be really injured as walking works. Would that still be normal?

I had my toes on the pedal, lifted my leg while toes staying on the pedal and threw my leg down and tried two times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Absolutely go with heel up. Listen to your teacher. I've been where you are. I switched from heel down to heel up when I was young. Heel down is not wrong, it's just limiting. If you plan on being an advanced, modern player, heel up will give you more freedom and ability to play not only more powerful with your bass drum when needed but you will have more freedom for speed when wanting to play doubles and very fast 16th's or 16th note triplets. Any pain your feeling is most likely just an adjustment but see a doctor about it if it continues. Make sure you're not sitting too close to your bass drum. The heel up technique, if played correctly, will ultimately feel very natural. With both legs heel up, you'll be like a marionette puppet. You'll be floating freely as your torso is centered. This freedom will enable you to play just about anything effortlessly.

Do this test: Place your palm down on a table and tap your fingers as fast as you can for an extended period of time (keep your palm against the table). Do you see how limiting this is? Now, lift your palm about 2" from the table and do the same thing by tapping your fingers for an extended period of time. Do you see how this frees you? It is the mechanics of the body placement and that's why most pros swear by using the heel up technique.

No, not at all.
    Thank you, Tom. I’d be perfectly fine with playing Heel Up as long as I can master it without injuries and play it free of pain.

User Info Menu

What kind of music are you playing? That is what makes a difference for me. I teach multiple foot techniques and I always base it on the student and the students needs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    What kind of music are you playing? That is what makes a difference for me. I teach multiple foot techniques and I always base it on the student and the students needs
    I want to play many different styles such as Rock, Alternative, HipHop, RnB, Pop, Jazz, Country, Blues and Funk.

User Info Menu

If you are happy with heel down then play heel down. If i thought that heel up was "better" i would have switched years ago. Why waste the time learning a different technique if you can do everything you need to do with a technique that you already have. I get the feeling that you don't want to do this so don't. They aren't going to take away your drumming permit if you stay where you are.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    If you are happy with heel down then play heel down. If i thought that heel up was "better" i would have switched years ago. Why waste the time learning a different technique if you can do everything you need to do with a technique that you already have. I get the feeling that you don't want to do this so don't. They aren't going to take away your drumming permit if you stay where you are.
    As of yet, you’re right, but the main reason why I personally like Heel Down is, that I’ve never injured myself playing it although I kind of taught it to myself when I started drumming the first time and then still as a self taught drummer I’ve tried to learn heel Up as I saw nearly every drummer doing it and I did it wrong and got injured, wouldn’t I have been injured back then, I perhaps wouldn’t be afraid of it.

Switching the teacher would be theoretically very easy but like I said, even if your teacher would be a jazz or orchestra based drummer, you’d have to learn heel up as well, I don’t know if it is that widespread worldwide as technique #1 to use, but if I would have to speak for Germany, then it definitely is, I also theoretically could have Skype lessons with a teacher from any country as long as he is affordable, a good teacher and speaks English, but that would language wise cause some problems for me, as my spoken English is very slow, with two different German accents (general and local) in it, they speak very fast and it’s hard to describe things when I have to speak English.

So not really a clue.

User Info Menu

fine we'll make a trade... you teach me German I teach you drumming. I'm even wearing one of my favorite Deutschland shirts now. Photo on 9-11-21 at 2.54 PM.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    fine we'll make a trade... you teach me German I teach you drumming. I'm even wearing one of my favorite Deutschland shirts now. Photo on 9-11-21 at 2.54 PM.jpg
    I’ll PM you something.

User Info Menu

You DO NOT have to learn heel up. I'm also self-taught. Never had a lesson in my life and come Dec 14th I'll be playing these damn fool things 65 years and I've done OK without playing 1 song "heel up".

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Ok, everyone here’s an update:
    On the Day I had these lessons my teacher seemed to just have a bad day, because when I had the next lesson two weeks later (I ate something bad so I had to cancel one lesson) he asked me how practicing went, from this lesson on (I had another after that) he was like I met him the first time and when I answered I said that I can’t play heel up without being able to practice shorter, that my leg feels like sore up to my knee cap and he said:“ If you’re comfortable with Heel Down then stick to it, there are professional drummers who play heel down. It’s nothing wrong with it and we just begun lessons.“ and I’m continuing with Heel Down.