Thread: Progress - am I normal or worse for my skill level?

User Info Menu

Default Progress - am I normal or worse for my skill level?

Hey there, I actually started playing self taught at 2013 which resulted in injury, then I had some really bad lessons for some months back in 2014 and played self taught again till the break at the end of 2016. All I mainly had was my practice pad and I played some doubles, singles and Paradiddle. In 2014 the first time a teacher told me that my German grip is already very good, this year I also was told that it is very good as well as my hand technique and I’d be way better with it than other drummers at my skill level.

I easily progressed from quarter note rudiments to very slow 16th notes rudiments (60 BPM) within one or two lessons but the only thing now that has improved in this section is timing and playing mainly on a constant dynamic level and got rid of old habits as in playing on the edge of a cymbal (really edge and not on top Edge)

I also feel like I made a lot of progress in my heel down playing, the strokes are more controlled but yet I’m still slow.

What makes me feel bad is, rudiments arent speeding up neither on the snare nor played over the kit.

And I’m practicing 4-5 times a week for 20-30 Mins a practice day but other than others I can’t return out of my lessons with new grooves to learn while having mastered the homework.

If someone would tell me two play my very First Groove hw I would still have to look on the sheet and would make mistakes and I had four 8th Note grooves with kick drum variations as last weeks hw, haven’t mastered it and that’s why it is my homework again.

Is this normal? What do you think? Am I good for my skill level or bad?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Progress - am I normal or worse for my skill level?

Can't really tell unless we can hear you.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Can't really tell unless we can hear you.
    This. Try to post a video. A lot of great people here who are more than willing to help.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    This. Try to post a video. A lot of great people here who are more than willing to help.
    I have no equipment to do that.

User Info Menu

As the others said, it's hard for us to gauge without hearing you but I suspect one of a few things might be going on. Either 1.) you're not being repetitive enough with each individual exercise. It takes a lot of repetition to get comfortable with a groove or rudiment. 2.) Your teacher is giving you too much to practice. This is common with teachers and even schools. Not everyone learns the same way yet they give everyone the same material to learn with deadlines. 3.) It is possible that you are not what we call a "natural" with drumming, meaning that you may not have what's known as natural rhythm or have a natural inclination toward rhythm. This is God given or DNA given if you will. That doesn't mean you can't learn drums but it could take you longer than the average drum student. I've had this happen with students in the past.