There are many posts on this forum by new drummers about which cymbals to get. I have played drums for over fifty years and have played cymbals by Sabian, Zildjian, Paiste, Meinl, and others that I do not remember. First, a few or a couple of good cymbals are better than many bad ones. The good thing about cymbals is that you can buy them one at a time. That is what you should do rather than buying a pack that you may want to replace in a year. Use and trust your ears, and if you are so inclined, pray about it.

1. Go to a store, even if you have to travel a while to get there.
2. If possible, take an experienced drummer with you. If that is not possible, take an experienced musician of some other type.
3. Start with hi-hat cymbals. Some inexpensive hats sound OK, such as Paiste Alphas, Sabian XSR's and B8 Pros. Buying used cymbals will almost always allow you to get a much better cymbal. Pro quality hats include the following: Sabian AA, AAX, HH, HHX, and Paragon; Zildjian A, A Custom, and K; and Paiste 2002, Signature, and 602.
4. Second, buy a good crash cymbal. Some will disagree with this and say to get a ride cymbal. Most inexpensive crashes sound bad. I suggest getting an 18 inch medium-thin or medium crash from the list of pro cymbals above. Used is good here too.
5. After these two, buy a ride, and another (different-sized) crash. Follow the advice above. Hats, two crashes, and a ride will be enough for most songs.

I have bought many used cymbals and have never had a problem with them. There are also great deals out there. Some Sabian SR2 cymbals are a great value. I bought one few years ago that is an 18 inch Thin that is a great crash and a decent ride. It was $100. Last year I bought two AAX Concept Crashes. The 16 inch was $100, and the 17 inch was $110, which is about half what they typically go for. Some drummers really like Paiste Alphas and Sabian XSR cymbals.

I hope this helps some of you, and I hope some others share their experiences. Peace and goodwill.