Thread: Standard versus Fusion

User Info Menu

Default Standard versus Fusion

This is likely for the older forum members. If you grew up playing a Standard size kit 12,13,16 how was the transition to a Fusion size kit, 10,12,14. I have a new Gretsch Renown kit ordered (back ordered) in fusion sizes 8,10,12, & 14. My current kit, a Gretsch Birch is 10,12,13, & 16. I don’t know that the smaller drums are the issue but I don’t know how well I will like the 14 floor tom. How did this transition work for you guys?
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Beautifully. The fusion kits got their name from fusion players that started using them back then like Dave Weckl and Steve Smith (among many others). Guys like myself liked the sound and wanted to emulate them. That's how they became popular. You can certainly use any size toms you want. The smaller toms take some getting used to. You just have to be more accurate with how you hit. The 14" floor toms can still sound big and beefy if you tune them right and hang them on suspension mounts.

User Info Menu

Fusion kits are quickly becoming standard right? And this is a relatively new switch isn't it? Most kits I've played on were 12, 13, 16 five pieces.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

I could'nt make up my mind when I bought my Pearls if I wanted fusion sizes or regular sizes, so I went with both! 10", 12", 13", 14", and 16" toms. If I were to buy another kit (which I am looking at doing very soon), I would probably go with the fusion sizes as I use the 10", 12", and 14" toms more than the others.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

Shazane Guest

I couldn't be happier with my fusion set, I greatly prefer the range the toms can be tuned to and I've written great fills with them. I don't have any desire to go back to standard.

User Info Menu

Standard kits of course have a 13"tom that always seemed odd to me. why one odd sized tom? I personally like the fusion kits because the toms are evenly spaaced in size, to me it is easier to tune my toms in even increments. And I have noticed no appreciable difference in bottom end from a 14" floor. I use it more than my 16" the reason I know this is my 16" floor heads looks almost new and my 14" shows far more strike marks.

User Info Menu

Well I just received an E. Mail informing me the Renown’s ship tomorrow. It will be fun putting together this kit, getting it tuned and ready to play. Once the drums are here I will be ordering new cases. As for my Catalina Birch kit it will stay on the road until the cases arrive and then to the practice room. The 81 Slingerland kit will be cleaned and put away in their cases for now. As for my concerns about the 14 inch tom I can always order a 16 if needed. I should see these drums Thursday or Friday. It might be Sunday before I can even open them up for inspection. We play Friday, Sat. & Monday this weekend. I hope the weather is good for the New Years Eve job (no snow), that's big dollars and will cover the cost of the cases. Hope to have pictures soon.
    Now playing Gretsch and Slingerland Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Standard kits of course have a 13"tom that always seemed odd to me. why one odd sized tom? I personally like the fusion kits because the toms are evenly spaaced in size...
    Interestingly enough, I always had trouble getting a good sound out of the 13" tom when I had standard sizes.

Shazane Guest

I think in a standard set the ride toms and floor toms are separated because of the size difference, and it's hard to feasibly play a good fill using all of them, you end up having high fills and low fills. With a fusion everything's on the same scale and it all functions as one fluid set.

User Info Menu

Cool Standard Vs Fusion

I Love Vintage Kits And Sizes,i Agree The 13" Has Always Been Abit Odd To Nail A Good Sound....i Have Heard Many Fusion Kits That The Range Exceeeds That Of A Standard,,,,,,,,maybe Someday I Can Afford Some.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

It's very odd tuning a standard set up. With the 12" 13" 16" setup, the 13" sometimes can sound close to the 12" and you end up tuning it looser. Never liked the 16" as part of a fill because it's too boomy coming at the end of focused hits from the rack toms. Fusion makes tuning very easy because the sizes are evenly spaced out. I think once you get the 14" you might wanna remove the 13" for your set entirely. When evenly tuned out, you really can tell the difference from each tom. My tom setup is 8" 10" 12" 14" 16" 18" and a few 8" and 10" picollo toms. The sound is simply awesome, you won't regret it.

User Info Menu

My kit is fusion sizes and its the only kit I've played so by default I love fusion
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i find the stand problem a little odd but once you get used to it i love the fusion. still want the 16 inch floor tom though just for the extra bottom end.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

i like fusion sizes. i like small toms tuned low (dave weckl style).

User Info Menu

Ive always like the fusion kits, in fact the first kit i bought back in 97 was a fusion kit and thats all ive played since.