Thread: 18" BOP Bass Drum Evans vs Remo Head comparison

User Info Menu

Default 18" BOP Bass Drum Evans vs Remo Head comparison

Decided to do a sound clip comparison between my current setup and the new setup I'm changing to.

Remo Ambassedor and Powerstroke P3 vs Evans EQ3 Ported and Emad Heavyweight.

User Info Menu

Default Re: 18" BOP Bass Drum Evans vs Remo Head comparison

Maybe it was just my sound device but the bd sounded distorted more than exceptional? YMMV.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Another thing I found was:

I took an old computer chair and removed the back rest. It works great for a mobile lazy susan to spin my drums around instead of breaking my back bending over to swap bd heads.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I'm commenting as I'm watching. Sorry for the multiple posts.

When you put the mic up to the port hole, that to me sounded worse. It was where I found most of the distortion coming out. Again, might be just my sound system (amp and separate speakers) but the port didn't help IMHO.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

At about 9:50 it sounds like you are hitting paper. What am I missing?. I know you are an outstanding player and great tuner. I'm just a bit shocked at what I'm hearing.

Thoughts, anyone?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sorry yeah at 9:50 the mic's aren't on... that's just the camera mic getting blown out. I need to invest into a Lavalier mic setup... I'm super dissappointed in this video now that i put it out. So I'm with you lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm super dissappointed in this video now that i put it out.
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Most of your videos are a home run. You're knowledgeable, play well, put a lot into production, and provide lots of entertainment value.

My thoughts on the video:
    - I didn't like the sound at 6:49 at all (mic at center).
    - Ported front heads always sound better. Since I ported my first head eons ago, I never went back... even for jazz gigs. And the sound guys always mic at the port. Seems to be standard these days for quality engineers. Of course, it always depend on the drum, the acoustics of the venue, and the mic as well.
    - The sound quality for the room (your voice) seemed less quality this time for some reason.
    - To answer your question on what we liked better, definitely the Evans thud for me.

The thing that bothered me the most with this video is that, with an open kick sound it never sounds good to me when someone is playing the quick doubles because the first tone is open and the second one muted. This creates a weird, off balance tonal inconsistency with the beat. With an open sound, I don't think drummers should bury the beater on any note as it creates a choked sound. To me, burying the beater, only sounds good on the older, 70's style, all-muted, "thud" type bass drum tuning.