Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Rugby???

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Rugby???

    I watched about 20 minutes of "rugby" yesterday and can't figure out what the point of it is. It appears to be a mix of MMA, soccer, and my 2nd marriage. Going by the announcers accent's, it was televised from either England or West Virginia. Is there a point to this "game" or just an excuse to roll around in the dirt.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Rugby is a proper game, unlike American 'football' (oxymoron)
    The Varukers.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Rugby is a proper game, unlike American 'football' (oxymoron)
    It didn't look "proper" to me.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Eleanor Rugby.

    Noted Soccer mom.
    Signature here

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It didn't look "proper" to me.
    I think that Americans struggle with Rugby the same as we do with American Football. Each think the other's is rubbish
    The Varukers.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    "I think that Americans struggle with Rugby the same as we do with American Football. Each think the other's is rubbish"

    Very true!!! I wonder who's right.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "I think that Americans struggle with Rugby the same as we do with American Football. Each think the other's is rubbish"

    Very true!!! I wonder who's right.
    One of those things that will run till the end of time............. :D
    The Varukers.

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Rugby: Now that's a proper sport but does take some time to understand the intracacies of the game e.g. when is a maul not a maul, what is this 'offside' you speak of, you go forward by passing backwards, etc., etc...

    As a Brit that has, on occassion, watched a bit of American 'Football' (definite oxymoron as Kevaruka has already noted) I'm still baffled by it. It's amazing to me that the 'placekicker' typically only ever has one job to do; to kick a ball every now and then and watch from the sidelines for the vast majority of their life, it would seem.

    Just like the US and UK have a common language separated by the Atlantic, our view of sport seems also very different - it seems the US cannot handle any game that ends in a draw/tie. Is the tension too unbearable? Do American's struggle with the lack of resolution? That said, I go to watch ice hockey a few times a year and do enjoy overtime and the shootout in a tie scenario so I can at least understand that getting to a result in a tight game can be very enjoyable to watch.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    It's amazing to me that the 'placekicker' typically only ever has one job to do; to kick a ball every now and then and watch from the sidelines for the vast majority of their life, it would seem.
    Crazy right? I don't get it either.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    I'd rather watch Soccer than either Football or Rugby and I ABSOLUTELY HATE that America calls Football "Football" instead of Soccer "Football" where american Football should be called HandEgg
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Classic Concept Maple | 4pc PDP Classic Concept Maple BOP | 5pc Sonor International | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 70 Snare drums and growing!

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Rugby: Now that's a proper sport but does take some time to understand the intracacies of the game e.g. when is a maul not a maul, what is this 'offside' you speak of, you go forward by passing backwards, etc., etc...

    As a Brit that has, on occassion, watched a bit of American 'Football' (definite oxymoron as Kevaruka has already noted) I'm still baffled by it. It's amazing to me that the 'placekicker' typically only ever has one job to do; to kick a ball every now and then and watch from the sidelines for the vast majority of their life, it would seem.

    Just like the US and UK have a common language separated by the Atlantic, our view of sport seems also very different - it seems the US cannot handle any game that ends in a draw/tie. Is the tension too unbearable? Do American's struggle with the lack of resolution? That said, I go to watch ice hockey a few times a year and do enjoy overtime and the shootout in a tie scenario so I can at least understand that getting to a result in a tight game can be very enjoyable to watch.
    The Revolutionary War wasn't fought over taxes and various other things, it was fought because the Brits wanted to bring Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket to the US. The British Army, well trained and well equipped, had their butts kicked by a bunch of Davy Crocketts and sent packing back to GB.

    Having watched a little bit of all 3 "games", I find curling more fun to watch.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    had their butts kicked by a bunch of Davy Crocketts and sent packing back to GB.
    GB = Green Bay? Is that how the Packers got started? Asking for a friend.
    Signature here

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    The Revolutionary War wasn't fought over taxes and various other things, it was fought because the Brits wanted to bring Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket to the US. The British Army, well trained and well equipped, had their butts kicked by a bunch of Davy Crocketts and sent packing back to GB.

    Having watched a little bit of all 3 "games", I find curling more fun to watch.
    Cricket is the sport of Gods Love it.
    The Varukers.

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Exactly which g o d might that be?????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Exactly which g o d might that be?????
    Me
    The Varukers.

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Now I understand why you live in a forest.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Rugby???

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Now I understand why you live in a forest.
    The Varukers.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •