Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugby???

User Info Menu

Default Rugby???

I watched about 20 minutes of "rugby" yesterday and can't figure out what the point of it is. It appears to be a mix of MMA, soccer, and my 2nd marriage. Going by the announcers accent's, it was televised from either England or West Virginia. Is there a point to this "game" or just an excuse to roll around in the dirt.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rugby???

Rugby is a proper game, unlike American 'football' (oxymoron)
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Rugby is a proper game, unlike American 'football' (oxymoron)
    It didn't look "proper" to me.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Eleanor Rugby.

Noted Soccer mom.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    It didn't look "proper" to me.
    I think that Americans struggle with Rugby the same as we do with American Football. Each think the other's is rubbish
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

"I think that Americans struggle with Rugby the same as we do with American Football. Each think the other's is rubbish"

Very true!!! I wonder who's right.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

"I think that Americans struggle with Rugby the same as we do with American Football. Each think the other's is rubbish"

Very true!!! I wonder who's right.
    One of those things that will run till the end of time............. :D
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Rugby: Now that's a proper sport but does take some time to understand the intracacies of the game e.g. when is a maul not a maul, what is this 'offside' you speak of, you go forward by passing backwards, etc., etc...

As a Brit that has, on occassion, watched a bit of American 'Football' (definite oxymoron as Kevaruka has already noted) I'm still baffled by it. It's amazing to me that the 'placekicker' typically only ever has one job to do; to kick a ball every now and then and watch from the sidelines for the vast majority of their life, it would seem.

Just like the US and UK have a common language separated by the Atlantic, our view of sport seems also very different - it seems the US cannot handle any game that ends in a draw/tie. Is the tension too unbearable? Do American's struggle with the lack of resolution? That said, I go to watch ice hockey a few times a year and do enjoy overtime and the shootout in a tie scenario so I can at least understand that getting to a result in a tight game can be very enjoyable to watch.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    It's amazing to me that the 'placekicker' typically only ever has one job to do; to kick a ball every now and then and watch from the sidelines for the vast majority of their life, it would seem.
    Crazy right? I don't get it either.

User Info Menu

I'd rather watch Soccer than either Football or Rugby and I ABSOLUTELY HATE that America calls Football "Football" instead of Soccer "Football" where american Football should be called HandEgg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    Rugby: Now that's a proper sport but does take some time to understand the intracacies of the game e.g. when is a maul not a maul, what is this 'offside' you speak of, you go forward by passing backwards, etc., etc...

As a Brit that has, on occassion, watched a bit of American 'Football' (definite oxymoron as Kevaruka has already noted) I'm still baffled by it. It's amazing to me that the 'placekicker' typically only ever has one job to do; to kick a ball every now and then and watch from the sidelines for the vast majority of their life, it would seem.

Just like the US and UK have a common language separated by the Atlantic, our view of sport seems also very different - it seems the US cannot handle any game that ends in a draw/tie. Is the tension too unbearable? Do American's struggle with the lack of resolution? That said, I go to watch ice hockey a few times a year and do enjoy overtime and the shootout in a tie scenario so I can at least understand that getting to a result in a tight game can be very enjoyable to watch.
    The Revolutionary War wasn't fought over taxes and various other things, it was fought because the Brits wanted to bring Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket to the US. The British Army, well trained and well equipped, had their butts kicked by a bunch of Davy Crocketts and sent packing back to GB.

Having watched a little bit of all 3 "games", I find curling more fun to watch.

User Info Menu

had their butts kicked by a bunch of Davy Crocketts and sent packing back to GB.
    GB = Green Bay? Is that how the Packers got started? Asking for a friend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The Revolutionary War wasn't fought over taxes and various other things, it was fought because the Brits wanted to bring Soccer, Rugby, and Cricket to the US. The British Army, well trained and well equipped, had their butts kicked by a bunch of Davy Crocketts and sent packing back to GB.

Having watched a little bit of all 3 "games", I find curling more fun to watch.
    Cricket is the sport of Gods Love it.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Exactly which g o d might that be?????

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Exactly which g o d might that be?????
    Me
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Now I understand why you live in a forest.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Now I understand why you live in a forest.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I now have a new appreciation of Rugby. My youngest son started off with midget Football, three years later he quit for Lacrosse. After nine years of Lacrosse he has given that up for Rugby. He was really proud of himself when he informed his mother he was now a "Hooker".
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Hey Rick, does he have his own corner or does he have to stand with the other hookers?????

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Only one hooker on the team. He's the lucky guy in the middle of the Scrum.
    Last edited by slanddad; 12-14-2022 at 10:18 PM.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Sounds like a fun place to be. The equivalent of being with your GF when your wife sees you.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Maybe not quite that bad.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Whats the sense in watching something that ends in a tie? Is there any strategy to either Soccer or Rugby? I do not see any strategy in either of those 2 games unlike American Football (best sport on earth) or Baseball and used to be basketball before that just became a boring no defense, traveling, slam dunk league it is today.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Play to a tie? You mean like American football ? Rugby and soccer have tie breakers.
    Last edited by slanddad; 12-16-2022 at 08:55 AM.
    Rick

User Info Menu

"Rugby and soccer have tie breakers".

I'll keep that in mind the next time I don't watch 1 of the games.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS