Thread: Quality recording?

User Info Menu

Default Quality recording?

Hi.

I've got no experience with recording and stuff so what exactly do I need to record drum tracks to my computer? Obviously I'll need mics, and what else? like a mixer or something? Any help would be appreciated
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

I hate to be a pesimist but your first recording expierience probably will not produce the sound you really want. I'm not saying don't do it. I am saying do it but don't get too down when it gets difficult. To get a really solid recording you need alot of cash and alot of time to put into learning and gaining expierence.

User Info Menu

I'm willing to learn and willing to spend.
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

what's your computer setup?
    you can input from Firewire, USB, or PCI-soundcard/breakout box.

If you go the Firewire or USB route, you'll need an interface to plug your mics into.

Let us know what's available on your computer and we'll go from there.
    Depending on the interface and software you choose, you may not need a mixer.
    Most folks do the mixing in the software these days.

I just setup a Macbook w/ a firewire interface, it's pretty simple.

User Info Menu

ack...computer stuff... i suck at those. I think I'll get someone to tutor me the basics(my drum teacher or something)... thanks for the help anyway.

just so i know the basics: what do I need? mics and a mixer and what else?
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

well, that's just it; you may not need a mixer.

You may only need an interface, but we need to know if your computer has Firewire or USB ports. It would help to know how much RAM you have too, or you may not be able to run too much simultaneously.

How many tracks do you want to record at a time?

User Info Menu

by USB port you mean like uh...where I plug the iPod? Lol sorry im a complete computer noob. I just want to play a groove and record it to my computer. probably play with a song or something like that
    Paiste Posse
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

User Info Menu

Andreew, if you get a mixer, make sure you get one with a USB output. Quite a few people I know have bought mixers without it and ended up wishing they had as they had to buy another interface and/or soundcard or could not record tracks they way they wanted to.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

here we go again computer geeks who go off at 300 miles an hour and take for granted that everybody knows what they are babbling on about.
    I am in the same position, Ive got drums acoustic and electronic. I have a computer with a usb port as you call it and the man at the store said it is dual core and lots of ram, thats all I know so what do I do next , and dont babble about gigs and bitz coz it turns me off.
    when I went to school it was a manual typewriter and maybe a calculator if you were rich.
    so what do I plug in from my electronic kit and where do I plug it in, and then what do i do after I hit things, Im a drummer for gads sake.

User Info Menu

all right, I'll take one last shot at it.
    If you're really interested in 'quality recording' on your computer, you're going to have to learn at least a little about your system so as to get the most out of it and it will only get MUCH more complicated when you get into running software, miking the kit, mixing, etc.

I'll post some links, maybe others can explain it better.
    I'm sorry if my input isn't helping, but I'm trying- everything it took to get me up and running on my new Mac I found by researching online. It really pays to read up a bit, there's so much info out there that can really help.
    again, I apologize if this isn't addressing your needs

basics on computer recording:
    http://www.acousticfingerstyle.com/C...Recording1.htm

home recording site:
    http://home.earthlink.net/~rongonz/home_rec/home.html

http://homerecording.com/digital.html

User Info Menu

I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but here is my info. I have an intel pentium4 cpu 3.00ghz, 1.00gb ram, free disk space is 141gb. So what I have read is I can download software for free called Gold wave, that I like so far.
    what cable do I need to take out of my yamaha dtxpress 4 ? do I need to ask yamaha or is it real simple plz help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    what cable do I need to take out of my yamaha dtxpress 4 ?
    the simplest approach (but not the best quality) would be to run an instrument cable from the OUTPUT L/MONO (mono 1/4" phone jack) on the drum module to your PC mic input (you'll probably need an 1/8 adapter for the computer input)

For better quality (or more inputs) you will need an interface from your drum module (or mics on acoustics) to your computer. We can discuss that further if you're interested in it, but it raises the budget a good bit and can get quite complicated (there are so many incompatibilities that can arise w/ your PC, it's hard to generalize) There's also a LOT of info on interfaces and how they work on those pages linked above.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xush View Post
    the simplest approach (but not the best quality) would be to run an instrument cable from the OUTPUT L/MONO (mono 1/4" phone jack) on the drum module to your PC mic input (you'll probably need an 1/8 adapter for the computer input)

For better quality (or more inputs) you will need an interface from your drum module (or mics on acoustics) to your computer. We can discuss that further if you're interested in it, but it raises the budget a good bit and can get quite complicated (there are so many incompatibilities that can arise w/ your PC, it's hard to generalize) There's also a LOT of info on interfaces and how they work on those pages linked above.
    thx very much for the info, I will do some reading, it may take a while but thx.

User Info Menu

I hope it works for you; it can be so tricky to troubleshoot- every computer/software/hardware combo is different. But that simple route should be pretty straight forward.
    Looking forward to hearing the results.