Thread: Live sound setup questions..

User Info Menu

Default Live sound setup questions..

Hey guys, Been playing out about 12 years now and always just run my BD mic, 2 overheads, Vocal mic , and my wedge monitor to the Main PA and whomever is doing sound takes it from there and that is the absolute extent of my knowledge on this subject.

The new band I am in the lead singer brings the PA and asks for cords, but always waits till the last minute because he is so busy setting other stuff up and easily gets fazzled when I try to hand him my cords so I am thinking I should expand my knowldge on this and take some matters into my own hands and lessen his burden.

I would llike to plug all my stuff into my own 6 output PA and then run 1 cord to the main PA is that doable? I just started looking online and see a few 6 channel PA's but none seem to have 6 inputs all the same type, some have 2 male/female xlr's, a few of the big 1/4 jacks, and 2 that just accept female xlr's. I use nothing but xlr's for all my cables is that good or are jacks better for monitors etc?

Any recommendations on a good small pa I can use for this? Also when I do this can I adjust the sound output of my mics to the main PA or is that all still controlled from the main PA the the speakers? Can I also adjust my incoming feed to my monitor or is that al from the main PA as well?

Thanks and sorry if some of these questions seem silly, I been slacking off learning this stuff for a long time.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Live sound setup questions..

If I can beat Late8 on this, I'll try.

There are several ways to approach this. From my experience here's what I did.

With the previous band playing bars and anything we could get our hands on, the guitarist toted the PA. He would set it all up and place the mixer where ever it would fit. I had X number of channels for my drums. After he got the PA set up I would take my output cables from my drums or my snake if the distance required it and would just plug my mic cables into the board and then we'd set levels. I basically ran a Kick, Snare and overhead to cover everything. I also had a vocal mic and Kat effects device.

When you factor in your own mixer you have expanded your mixing abilities at the drum set. You have to control your own mixer. Using your mixer you use the number of assigned channels you need and mix that. Then you send that mix to the main console/mixer and it gets blended in to the main output. Most mixers allow for XLR or quarter inch cable connects to another mixer device. It's your choice how you decide to send the signal to the main board.

Conversely with this new band I took a different approach. I purchased a Yamaha EAD10 Drum micing system. It mounts to the BD and picks up everything in close proximity and you run two channels to the board using regular quarter inch cables. You can't really mix more precisely but you have enough control to make it work. The triggers do have individual level adjustments. It also includes some effects like a drum trigger module would or you can bypass the effects and just use the raw signal like you'd get from a basic microphone.

Much simpler design and set up. I love it. It also works great for rehearsals and only takes about 10 minutes to completely set it up.

Dollar for dollar you may end up spending about the same for the EAD10 as you would for a decent mixer with enough XLR inputs to support your required micing technique.

YMMV

If you have more questions, let me know.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    If I can beat Late8 on this, I'll try.

There are several ways to approach this. From my experience here's what I did.

With the previous band playing bars and anything we could get our hands on, the guitarist toted the PA. He would set it all up and place the mixer where ever it would fit. I had X number of channels for my drums. After he got the PA set up I would take my output cables from my drums or my snake if the distance required it and would just plug my mic cables into the board and then we'd set levels. I basically ran a Kick, Snare and overhead to cover everything. I also had a vocal mic and Kat effects device.

When you factor in your own mixer you have expanded your mixing abilities at the drum set. You have to control your own mixer. Using your mixer you use the number of assigned channels you need and mix that. Then you send that mix to the main console/mixer and it gets blended in to the main output. Most mixers allow for XLR or quarter inch cable connects to another mixer device. It's your choice how you decide to send the signal to the main board.

Conversely with this new band I took a different approach. I purchased a Yamaha EAD10 Drum micing system. It mounts to the BD and picks up everything in close proximity and you run two channels to the board using regular quarter inch cables. You can't really mix more precisely but you have enough control to make it work. The triggers do have individual level adjustments. It also includes some effects like a drum trigger module would or you can bypass the effects and just use the raw signal like you'd get from a basic microphone.

Much simpler design and set up. I love it. It also works great for rehearsals and only takes about 10 minutes to completely set it up.

Dollar for dollar you may end up spending about the same for the EAD10 as you would for a decent mixer with enough XLR inputs to support your required micing technique.

YMMV

If you have more questions, let me know.
    WOW that EAD10 sounds great from the demo video I just watched. I take it you still need to run it to a PA though right? or say for practice at home could you just run it to a speaker/monitor? Also is there anything you don't like about it when playing live? Does it pick up things like rim clicks, quick hi hat open and close hits etc?
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    WOW that EAD10 sounds great from the demo video I just watched. I take it you still need to run it to a PA though right? or say for practice at home could you just run it to a speaker/monitor? Also is there anything you don't like about it when playing live? Does it pick up things like rim clicks, quick hi hat open and close hits etc?
    In my experience it does it all. Not as precise as individual micing but lets face it we're not in the pro arena just yet and this will do what you need it to. It will hook into any amped system as well as it has headphone output as well. I really like mine. It does what I bought it for.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Some reviews I am reading lead me to believe it is not good for playing live through a PA. Have you had any feedback or other issues when playing live via a PA?,

This device is not intended to be used for micing drums in a PA system, so ignore any reviews that are frustrated by that scenario. The application it is built for- practicing and simply recording a kit with some fun effects- it excels at. No, it doesn’t replace Studio A at CBS or Electric Ladyland, but for some fun demos or loop making as well as a great practice tool this thing is fantastic.

As long as you buy this for what it is really intended you will be blown away at this price point and that there really isn't anything like it. It isn't intended for gigs as acoustic kits are loud enough and so feedback is expected, although if you want to put through PA is can work in limited ways.

This is not designed for gigging drummers. Its flimsy plastic wont last two gigs, and the included unshielded cables were crackling and noisey right out of the box. The mic unit picks up every sound on stage and prone to feedback at the liwest levels, and the drum trigger is intermittent at best. Total garbage!

I know some reviewers are lazy and you gotta try to weed out the reviews by how they are being presented but just wondering if you had any issues live. I agree it is not like I am playing madison square garden or anything.
    Last edited by MDK; 01-05-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Some reviews I am reading lead me to believe it is not good for playing live through a PA. Have you had any feedback or other issues when playing live via a PA?,

This device is not intended to be used for micing drums in a PA system, so ignore any reviews that are frustrated by that scenario. The application it is built for- practicing and simply recording a kit with some fun effects- it excels at. No, it doesn’t replace Studio A at CBS or Electric Ladyland, but for some fun demos or loop making as well as a great practice tool this thing is fantastic.

As long as you buy this for what it is really intended you will be blown away at this price point and that there really isn't anything like it. It isn't intended for gigs as acoustic kits are loud enough and so feedback is expected, although if you want to put through PA is can work in limited ways.

This is not designed for gigging drummers. Its flimsy plastic wont last two gigs, and the included unshielded cables were crackling and noisey right out of the box. The mic unit picks up every sound on stage and prone to feedback at the liwest levels, and the drum trigger is intermittent at best. Total garbage!

I know some reviewers are lazy and you gotta try to weed out the reviews by how they are being presented but just wondering if you had any issues live. I agree it is not like I am playing madison square garden or anything.
    The reviews are probably what that person experienced. I have a full PA system including separate sub bass bins and mid/high range cabs. I use a 16 channel mixer and stereo cross over. Each range has its own power amp. It's what we use for rehearsal. It can be an on stage live PA as well but I am not taking it out. It's still pristine. I have it set up the EAD10 on my kit in my basement with my PA and it will over power everything. I don't have feed back but I can get extra sustain out of the toms. They get excited with the close micing. I Dead ringer or moon gel is a quick fix. I just detune a lug and get the same results.

As I said it's not like individual micing but it will give you a close simulation and will mic the kit. That was what I wanted. Instead of having to mic every drum this works great. I hadn't experienced any issues with the cables either. For what it would cost for shielded cables it would be a minor investment over a full blown mixer and mics to accommodate.

I have rehearsal tonight. If I get set up to record I'll throw something out here in the next day or two.
    Last edited by Bish; 01-05-2022 at 04:44 PM.
    Signature here