View Poll Results: Can You Read Music

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 38.89%
  • No

    2 11.11%
  • A little bit

    9 50.00%
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Reading Music

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Reading Music

    So who here can read music?

    I used to when I was in high school band, but that was 35 years ago and I'm embarking on a new endeavor where I need to relearn. I find that it's complicated, challenging and frustrating, but at the same time its great fun to learn something new and there's a great sense of accomplishment at the end.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Just drum sheet music and that is limited
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    Tama Starclassic B/W 22x16, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16
    Sabian HHX Legacy

    Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

    http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    So who here can read music?

    I used to when I was in high school band, but that was 35 years ago and I'm embarking on a new endeavor where I need to relearn. I find that it's complicated, challenging and frustrating, but at the same time its great fun to learn something new and there's a great sense of accomplishment at the end.
    Same here. I still remember the basics but to sit and read at this time would be funny, at best. I learned on Violin, Sax and basic drum rudiments but they still look better on paper than how I play them....if I can even use play as an example.
    Signature here

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I started on the (F horn) trombone........all bass clef.
    In music school because of constant private lessons, percussion ensemble, theory, ear training, piano class, etc........I got much better.
    I still do my own charts, but drum charts are very different than other examples of sheet music.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I started on the (F horn) trombone........all bass clef.
    In music school because of constant private lessons, percussion ensemble, theory, ear training, piano class, etc........I got much better.
    I still do my own charts, but drum charts are very different than other examples of sheet music.
    Well that stirred up a memory. After violin, I took Trombone and Baritone. I hated them because I couldn't ride my bike to school lugging those big cases. Forgot all about them. Wonder why....
    Signature here

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I know rhythmic theory but not melodic theory. I can read and write real drum charts. However, my live sight-reading chops are rusty. When I take a reading gig, I need to spend time with the book before I rehearse or play the gig.

    If you just want to learn drum reading, just learn rhythmic theory and it will cut out the other half and make it easier on you. You'll only need to learn note values, not melodic scales. Let me know if that makes sense.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I know rhythmic theory but not melodic theory. I can read and write real drum charts. However, my live sight-reading chops are rusty. When I take a reading gig, I need to spend time with the book before I rehearse or play the gig.

    If you just want to learn drum reading, just learn rhythmic theory and it will cut out the other half and make it easier on you. You'll only need to learn note values, not melodic scales. Let me know if that makes sense.
    Thanks Drummer, It makes a lot of sense. To make a long story short, I was invited to join a local pipe and drum band. I was hesitant being a "matched grip rock n roll" guy, but I decided to go for it none the less. I'm only a few weeks in and it’s been a lot of fun so far, but I have a lot of work to do.

    Switching to traditional grip was a BIG change but I'm surprised at being ok with it. It's the reading that has me in a bind. There's no room for improvisation, and the stickings are as important as the notation so all players are in unison both sonically and visually for marches.

    I get the basic note values, being the 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 notes, and their matching rests.
    I understand noted triplets.
    I understand how the notation being drawn over/under the line equates to R and L stickings.

    Where I get a little shakey is in the dotted notes. A dotted note is 1 and 1/2 the note value in traditional music. (A dotted quarter is valued as a quarter + an 8th)
    However, they tend to be swung in pipe band so its a different feel. This is where I'm getting lost. I've been working with the main drummer in the band, but we have a holiday break (and now he has covid) so I need to work a bit on my own.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I learned to read a bit when (believe it or not) I played the accordion for 6-7 months. I got to where I could play Beautiful Dreamer and quit. Started with the drums about a year later. No drum teachers in town so I taught myself. I've been at it for 65 years now so when I get it right, I'll quit.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I know rhythmic theory but not melodic theory. I can read and write real drum charts. However, my live sight-reading chops are rusty. When I take a reading gig, I need to spend time with the book before I rehearse or play the gig.

    If you just want to learn drum reading, just learn rhythmic theory and it will cut out the other half and make it easier on you. You'll only need to learn note values, not melodic scales. Let me know if that makes sense.
    I am getting a little old but I would like to learn.Any pointers on where to start? Thanks
    Rick


    Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I am getting a little old but I would like to learn.Any pointers on where to start? Thanks

    HEY RICK...................make sure you have counting to 4 down, after that, it's all uphill.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Where I get a little shakey is in the dotted notes. A dotted note is 1 and 1/2 the note value in traditional music. (A dotted quarter is valued as a quarter + an 8th)
    However, they tend to be swung in pipe band so its a different feel. This is where I'm getting lost. I've been working with the main drummer in the band, but we have a holiday break (and now he has covid) so I need to work a bit on my own.
    You can't overthink it when it swings. Don't think of it as a broken triplet. Just keep on seeing the 8th notes and go with your intuition. This is hard to teach. You've just got to trust your instincts and like anything else, the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. If I would you, I would approach this as a two step process. Work out of the Ted Reed Syncopation book and then when you're getting more comfortable with dotted notes and swung eighths, then work in the rudiments as they most apply to pipe and drum music.

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I am getting a little old but I would like to learn.Any pointers on where to start? Thanks
    Slandad, I'm 50 and starting. You're never too old to learn, but you need to identify what it is exactly that you want to learn to be efficient with your time. Here's the basics though...

    The drum kit is written more like traditional music with the different voices (kick, snare, hats, toms, etc) on the different lines of the music staff to tell them apart.
    I'm focusing on march music so its all snare drum. Because there's no difference in voices or pitch (like drum kit, guitar, piano, woodwind etc) the music is written on only one line. It's bit easier to manage this way having only one line to deal with. The notes played by the right hand are placed above the line and the notes played by the left hand are drawn below it. Sometimes all the notes are all on the line with R or L above the note to distinguish them. It depends who wrote it.

    Then you get into note value, which is where it gets mathematic but its easy. There's a method that explains note value like a pizza, which is silly, but does a great job to explain the value of whole notes, 1/2 notes, 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, 1/16th notes and 1/32 notes.

    The whole note is the entire pizza, the 1/2 note is half the pizza. (see where its going) a 1/4 note is like 2 slices and an 1/8th note is a slice. 1/16th notes are kiddie slices when you cut a slice in 1/2 for the li'l tikes. 32nd's are half of the kiddie slice. Using this analogy, you quickly see the amount of the note value as it relates to the pizza slice. Its a half of a half of a half and so on...

    There are also times where you don't play. These are appropriately called rests. The rests follow the same pizza value of whole, 1/2, 1/4 etc. The notes and rests all look different so you can easily tell them apart.

    Beyond all that it gets more complicated with dotted notes and starts and stops and repeats that all mean exactly what you'd think. (Where to start, where to stop, repeat that line,etc) but this should get you started. There's a lot of videos online that I'm pouring through to try and get beyond the basics that I laid out here.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    HEY RICK...................make sure you have counting to 4 down, after that, it's all uphill.
    Gee thanks, haha. CycleDude,thanks.I am looking online for some basic,entry level stuff.
    Rick


    Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Can the pizza have more than one topping?

    Yeah, I can find the exit on my own.
    Signature here

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I can't read a bloody note. Spent my entire career playing by ear

    I'm not too fussed as I have never been in a situation where it is needed
    The Varukers.

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I can't read a bloody note. Spent my entire career playing by ear

    I'm not too fussed as I have never been in a situation where it is needed
    Back when I was in high school my band would play banquets and dances and stuff and we would run into the school band director and his combo.He asked me a few times to join the school bands.I was too cool for that back then Now I wish I had taken him up on it.
    Rick


    Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    I can't read a bloody note. Spent my entire career playing by ear
    And that's perfectly OK.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    When I got to music school as a freshman in college, I joined the percussion ensemble.
    There were three different types of players in the PE:
    The Garage Guys = all the feel - plays by ear - not good at sight reading
    The School Boys = sight reads anything - not much feel - afraid to try anything without a chart
    The Good PE guys = reads anything - feels everything - drums - mallet keys - everything - these guys were good
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    When I got to music school as a freshman in college, I joined the percussion ensemble.
    There were three different types of players in the PE:
    The Garage Guys = all the feel - plays by ear - not good at sight reading
    The School Boys = sight reads anything - not much feel - afraid to try anything without a chart
    The Good PE guys = reads anything - feels everything - drums - mallet keys - everything - these guys were good
    Took me a minute there... I always equated PE with Gym class... LOL
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

    Drummers can be very tempomental.....

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I was able read the sheet music for my clarinet in school band. Started to try and teach myself drum charts but it didn't last long
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I can read and write music.

    I teach drums and piano and have a percussion performance degree
    14pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (24pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 9pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 7pc PDP Classic Concept Maple | 4pc PDP Classic Concept Maple BOP | 5pc Sonor International | 5pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone | 4pc Sonor Martini | 70 Snare drums and growing!

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Thanks Drummer, It makes a lot of sense. To make a long story short, I was invited to join a local pipe and drum band. I was hesitant being a "matched grip rock n roll" guy, but I decided to go for it none the less. I'm only a few weeks in and it’s been a lot of fun so far, but I have a lot of work to do.

    Switching to traditional grip was a BIG change but I'm surprised at being ok with it. It's the reading that has me in a bind. There's no room for improvisation, and the stickings are as important as the notation so all players are in unison both sonically and visually for marches.

    I get the basic note values, being the 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 notes, and their matching rests.
    I understand noted triplets.
    I understand how the notation being drawn over/under the line equates to R and L stickings.

    Where I get a little shakey is in the dotted notes. A dotted note is 1 and 1/2 the note value in traditional music. (A dotted quarter is valued as a quarter + an 8th)
    However, they tend to be swung in pipe band so its a different feel. This is where I'm getting lost. I've been working with the main drummer in the band, but we have a holiday break (and now he has covid) so I need to work a bit on my own.
    My son and I have joined one, today was or first lesson. As I just started learning, I was told by a couple of drums this is a good way to learn

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Spot on that
    The Varukers.

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Reading Music

    I can read drum music, but I have not done it for a long time. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Armory Sabre snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian HHX, AAX, AA, SR2, XS20 / Evans / LA Backbeat

    Church Drummer's Army

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •