Thread: Parade Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Default Parade Snare Drums

We just finished another year of college football games and I have once again found myself wanting to shoot whoever is the responsible party for the modern sound of parade snare drums...........horrible.........sounds like toy drums.
    Does anyone here know the history of the development/evolution of the modern sound ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Parade Snare Drums

Don't know the history but I think most music/band directors don't know how to tune so they just crank as tight as they can.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

I'm not 100% on this, but It's my belief that the sound has evolved into this high tension style so it cuts through all the brass and woodwind instruments.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I'm not 100% on this, but It's my belief that the sound has evolved into this high tension style so it cuts through all the brass and woodwind instruments.
    Or to hear how badly doubles sound.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've got a popcorn machine that sounds better.........
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    I've always thought that because of needing durability in the heads, marching bands went to Kevlar, and because it's so thick, you have to crank down on them very hard to get stick articulation. But I agree, it sounds horrible. They might as well be hitting table tops as the snare drums are so lacking in tone. I cringe when I hear them.

User Info Menu

You may be right, Tom. I grew up in a small town and our school didn't have marching band during my tenure. I'm 50 years old and just now exploring parade drumming with a local pipe band. Better late than never, right? LOL!

We did have an electric pep band that played at the games. Our uniform was just those mexican style baja hoodies in the school colors. Looking back, we had a beat up blue vistalite drum kit that we all talked such crap about, (to have that thing now...) electric bass, electric guitar. auxiliary percussion and a variety of brass.

Good memories there...
    Last edited by CycleDude; 01-13-2022 at 08:08 AM.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I think Tom is correct also.Back in the 60's and 70's it was Weather Kings. Now it is Kevlar.I think they are just tuning for feel.Pipe band drummers probably tune to a specific pitch.
    Last edited by slanddad; 01-13-2022 at 07:16 PM.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    I think Tom is correct also.Back in the 60's and 70's it was Weather Kings. Now it is Kevlar. I think they are just tuning for feel. Pipe band drummers probably tune to a specific pitch.
    Can you imagine doing that to your 18" floor tom? You'd probably tear out the lugs or turn itself into a black hole.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

the heads really need to be incredibly tight to get good stick articulation for all the patterns marching snares play. The strength of the batter needs to hold to the lincoln log sized sticks they use. The guts of the drums are specialized too. Different gauge wire etc.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    the heads really need to be incredibly tight to get good stick articulation for all the patterns marching snares play. The strength of the batter needs to hold to the lincoln log sized sticks they use. The guts of the drums are specialized too. Different gauge wire etc.
    Yessir......I get all that.
    You spend a lot of money and still it sounds so bad.
    Defeats the priority purpose, IMO.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Probably the Mylar to kevlar heads transition was the biggest change (late 70's ,early 80's).
    Then you had the parallel gut snare mechanism of the Ludwig 10 lug supersensitives to the 12 lug Slingerland TDR for even more articulation(12x15 parade drums).
    Pearl and Yammie started using the free floater hybrids that detached the head from the shell so that you didn't crush the shell bearing edges using the super high tensioning unit.
    Formica forever!
    Last edited by pgm554; 01-24-2022 at 10:52 PM.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes