Thread: Tried Some Good Kits Today...Well Saturday

User Info Menu

Default Tried Some Good Kits Today...Well Saturday

As some of you have figured out I go to my local drumstore every weekend regardless of if I'm buying anything though I mostly am. I try out the kits and cymbals if they let me. And on Saturday I tried out a few of their kits.

And I played that little kit they had in the corner a month or so ago, except now it was up the back of the store. It was this nice little classic vintage kit, except it wasn't vintage, I thought it was until I checked the tags. This was a DW Custom kit in broken glass finish or aged marine I don't know for sure. The sizes were vintage however, 9x13, 16x16, 22x14, with a 14x6.5 snare that didn't come with the kit.

It was apparently 4ply Birch. A little thinner than my dream kit which is 6ply Birch but God did it sound good. Not sure what heads were on it, but they were coated top heads and clear bottom heads, with a ebony head on the bass drum which was completely clear of writing so I'm guessing that Billy Hyde changed the skins somewhere along the lines.

Apparently they tried to sell the kit on their doorbuster sale, and along with that Bonham kit they tired to sell, they were both still in the store...except the prices weren't anywhere near to affordable on the Bonhan kit anymore (7K on the doorbuster, 13K RRP).

I don't know the full story but I think someone ordered this kit via Billy Hyde and never picked it up, because why would they just have this one off kit in these sizes that was made in the last year or so.

The best thing is since it's DW Custom I can buy addons for it if I buy it. I'll try and get some pictures of the kit at the store and if I buy it I will of course have pics of it set up at my parent's place (considering living in an apartment I have no space and close neighbors).

4ply Birch, 9x13, 16x16, 22x14, planning on buying a full on marching snare 12x14 to go with it. I will buy wood hoops for it if I buy it. What do you think? What heads should I use on them? Price does not matter, it is within my range of money, if I conserve my money for a while and they have a nice pay $30 a month deal unlike the Bonham kit which does not have a deal like that.

If I buy it I will buy addons, another 14x22,16x18, 10x14, 8x12, 7x10...if I win tattslotto (Australian ticket gambling for those who don't know).

This is how it'll look when fully upgraded:

With out addons:

The 12x14 snare will be a Pearl Marching snare made of whatever they make them out of (probably steel). And without addons I will use my Pearl Eliminators, and with addons...Hell if I have enough money for the addons I'll probably buy two single DW 9000's or two single Axis pedals or two Eliminator singles...or two IC singles...doesn't matter I'll decide when the time comes which will be quite some time.
    Last edited by Roger; 12-24-2007 at 07:50 AM.

User Info Menu

why wood hoops?
    why a 14 inch bass drum?
    why a marching snare?

User Info Menu

To answer the questions: Most of them are really because I can.

I've heard great things about wood hoops. They may break overtime put I'm fine with that, the hardware the kit has on it now will be fine if the hoops break and I'll put diecast hoops on the snare not wood hoops.

I've heard that wood hoops will make my drums sing, rather than thud, now I know could make them sing with good tuning but they will be tuned well and I think just having wood hoops on a 9x13 tom will make up for its lack of depth. Why am I buying a drumkit with toms that are to shallow for most peoples taste? Because a damn cheaper option than buying new toms from DW (already more expensive than most brands) at custom prices (which will increase the price even higher).

The 14x22 bass drum? While others could tell you this a lot better, personally I think that I will get a response that I'd like out of a bass drum 14 inches deep. You see when I hit the bass drum I'd like to get the air out of there as fast as possible for how fast I'll be playing, some people put a hole in their bass drum and I'll probably get a hole about 4" big at 5-4pmish. Other people don't use a reso head on their bass drum.

The marching snare? Well I can't really explain that other than the sound they make, with the proper micing up on the snare I could get it to sound loud enough to be heard on my kit, and it will sound awesome in blast beats and I can do marching breaks on the snare drum every now and then when I want a quick fill. Though I'll probably use my JJ Sig snare as my main snare but I would love to have a marching snare on my kit. But since I've got a JJ Sig I'll have a backup if I really don't like having a main snare as a marching snare.

User Info Menu

I like it much better before the add ons.

User Info Menu

Holycow77, to be really honest so do I, though not all the addons. I think I'll really like the 12", 14" and 18". And the extra bass drum for sure.

User Info Menu

I like little kits...
    Where in Aus are you?

User Info Menu

I think you should pass on the marching snare, dude. Just my opinion
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

yeah me too, that would sound really weird in the middle of a song

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I think you should pass on the marching snare, dude. Just my opinion
    After seriously considering this, I've decided on a 6.5x14 steel snare. I tried some out and the sound was just a little...off shall we say.

User Info Menu

what happened to the masterworks you were going to get

User Info Menu

I just went to their site and built the kit i would want, with no hardware at all, only the shell kit, $4000! Holy crap thats alot for a basic 6pc kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    what happened to the masterworks you were going to get
    That was shelved and now is my masterplan. I checked when I started the thread, that was 4 months ago. And I remember when it was purely my dream kit, money hadn't really entered the idea yet, and now it's a 6pc kit in completely different wood specs than when I started.

User Info Menu

back in the eighties I used a gretsch marching snare on my drumset. 10x14. It looked great especially considering the style back then. It had a really low pitch sound. It was great for Dokken and Motley Crue stuff(haha). I did something really stupid.......a few years later I tried to make an 8" deep snare out of it. REALLY ....stupid considering it had re-inforcing rings on it. I basically killed it. Oh well.....

User Info Menu

Back in high school we would setup one of our marching snares on the kit and play around. It was cool for a different sound. Gave a nice tight pop. Couldn't imagine using it as the main snare though.

Ernie

ThePloughman Guest

Order floor tom legs for the snare drum. Its the only way it will work.

User Info Menu

I love wood hoops. While i have never played them. A snare i played once had them and i was stoked at the sound difference i loved it. Specially for rim shots :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters