Thread: Reflexes

User Info Menu

Default Reflexes

I've noticed years of drumming, my reflexes (with everything) are very heightened. I frequently catch things in mid air for example, before they have a chance to hit the floor. It often surprises me just how quick they are. I'm convinced it has to do with hand-to-eye coordination becoming fine-tuned over the years through playing regularly.

Anyone else notice this or have this experience?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reflexes

Yes,me too.If something slips out of my hand,I will grab it before it is out of reach,I also used to one hand foul balls at my son's games all the time.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Yes, that has happened to me. It also helps my driving a car. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Don't drop a knife.......
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Being ambidextrous helps. I'm a natural lefty but in grammar school the teachers would take whatever you were printing with (1st & 2nd grade) and put it in your right hand which made me start doing things right handed as well as left handed. That, by itself, gave me faster reflexes.

As for my drums being set up for a right handed player, that was all I saw (if you saw a drum set it was usually on American Bandstand and they were always set up for a right handed player) so I, at 10 years old (1956) thought that was how you set them up. That and various things I started as a young kid gave me fairly fast reflexes.

I do avoid dropping knives and eggs, and G O D forbid, my scotch!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS