Thread: Bar owner won't return text messages?

User Info Menu

Default Bar owner won't return text messages?

My new band has played at a local bar twice now and one time was last minute 3-4 days notice when another band cancelled and 2nd time we got asked a few weeks ahead of time. We played twice, kept the place packed and dance floor full, got great comments from staff and customers after both gigs. Since the last one the owner will not return any text messages? I have written twice in the last month and no response. they just came out with a flyer for the next 3 months with all the bands listed every friday and sat. and we were not asked about any dates.

My last text was "Hi I understand we were not asked back after our 2nd gig but we really have no hard feelings, If you don't mind would you please share the reason to help us improve we would appreciate it. We are all adults and welcome constructive criticism like, band was too loud, sound was not great, singing was not great, drums were loud or need improvement etc etc. Could even be someting not music related, breaks too long, price too high etc. Any feedback is appreciated."

Did I go too far? should I just leave it alone? This is bothering me more than it probably should to the point I am thinking of popping in in person some time and saying hi what happened? BTW The reason I put "it could even be something not music related" is because when I went up to the bar after the gig to get paid I heard a few of the women at the bar saying something about the lead singer, kind of angrily and one of the other girls saw me at the end of the bar and kind of nudged the woman complaining and she quieted down. I shrugged it off as drunk chicks but I believe they all are regulars and I am starting to think that had something to do with it, would not be 1st time. Week later some guy got mad at our singer for disrespecting his wife but I think that guy was drunk and being an *** as the singers wife was there and telling the guy he meant no disrespect.

I have not mentioned the incident at the bar to anyone else in the band and wondering if I should because I really have no proof other than what I over heard. BTW with these gas prices on the rise lately I am not sure I want to continue gigging.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bar owner won't return text messages?

I'm a proponent of handling these things in person if you can. For one, managers and owners are usually always very busy. Second; many people are not good at communicating sensitive things. As well, people are different in person than they are in text. Same goes with personal relationships. My wife and I have an agreement that when we are dealing with a misunderstanding between us, we will try and keep our conversation in person, not through e-mail or text.

So, if you were to iron this out with him, maybe he could get you in on the next openings, or at the very least, keep you your band in mind in case another band has to cancel.

One more thing: If you have a member of the band that is causing problems, he/she needs to go.

User Info Menu

Over the years my bands have lost more jobs due to personal issues rather than music issues.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

IMHO, way too much texting.

Also, for recon methods, I like to ask the bartenders their take. They have to take the orders over the "loud music" and maybe don't like a band if they don't tip?

The bar owners owe you nothing. Texting could be considered a form of harassment. Plus, if they don't like to text or are not good with the keyboard, they will likely not respond in that manner.

In person is your best bet. Even a phone call, if they answer, is better than a text.

Not that my opinion matters, but I hate texting, personally. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Drop in.Have a beer and ask what's up.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    IMHO, way too much texting.

Also, for recon methods, I like to ask the bartenders their take. They have to take the orders over the "loud music" and maybe don't like a band if they don't tip?

The bar owners owe you nothing. Texting could be considered a form of harassment. Plus, if they don't like to text or are not good with the keyboard, they will likely not respond in that manner.

In person is your best bet. Even a phone call, if they answer, is better than a text.

Not that my opinion matters, but I hate texting, personally. I'm sure I'm not alone.
    Thanks for response,

Yeah I have learned people will not usually tell you you suck or something was bad to your face so asking their take on it is usually not a great indicator. I have seen hiring managers talk to a band and say everything was good and good job and then turn around and say I won't have them back.

As far as tipping I have never done that in any band I have been in and do not think I will start now, If I made $200 a night or something I would consider it but for $100 no way will I do that and I am not sure any other bands in this area do that either but now I am curious and will ask around.

This particular person has not had an issue with texting in the past so I do not think it is a not liking to test issue.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slanddad View Post
    Over the years my bands have lost more jobs due to personal issues rather than music issues.
    This is a good possibility
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Drop in.Have a beer and ask what's up.
    I think I am gonna do that, maybe even this weekend.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'm a proponent of handling these things in person if you can. For one, managers and owners are usually always very busy. Second; many people are not good at communicating sensitive things. As well, people are different in person than they are in text. Same goes with personal relationships. My wife and I have an agreement that when we are dealing with a misunderstanding between us, we will try and keep our conversation in person, not through e-mail or text.

So, if you were to iron this out with him, maybe he could get you in on the next openings, or at the very least, keep you your band in mind in case another band has to cancel.

One more thing: If you have a member of the band that is causing problems, he/she needs to go.
    Agree with all of that.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

My 1st thought was to say to go face to face with him. Then I thought no, don't go see him. If you did as good as you say (and I have no reason to doubt your word) I would let it go because he's going to find out that people are going to start asking " where is that band you had here last month, they were really good" and if he's smart he is going to "text" you, or call you. When (if) he does that's when you go there and talk to him.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I didn't read the other post when I did mine. About the tipping, we always did for the simple fact that " word of mouth" gets around more from bartenders than it will from owners.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Bar owners,in my opinion,are about the dumbest people on earth.
    Rick

User Info Menu

True, but it is still better to have them like you than not.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    That is why I said have a beer and talk.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Rick, I hear (read) what you are saying, but, if he has bands booked for the next 3 months, why bother. When (maybe) a couple of bands aren't as good, he's going to hear from customers about the band that played last month (or whenever) and then you would be in a much better position than to talk over a beer now.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick,I was thinking maybe there was something they could work on or change to get rebooked.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Rick, I agree with you, but, in the meantime, I would get other gigs and make sure they rock the place so word gets around. I know that things have changed drastically since we packed it in (2005), but a really good band will always have work.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Rick,I didn't mean to sit around and wait on this guy.See if there are things that are holding them back from other jobs.In the meantime keep kicking butt.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Do you know if the Pony is closed???

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Stone Pony is still open.
    Rick

User Info Menu

Play there once and you are good to go!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

In south Jersey a place everybody wanted to play was the Liberty Bell.It's gone now.
    Rick