Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many Calories do you burn Playing Drums?

User Info Menu

Default How many Calories do you burn Playing Drums?

As I'm trying to get in shape with upcoming warmer weather (beach, vacations, etc.), I'm trying to see how much cardio I'm getting. I searched different resources on the net and it looks like drummers who weighs around 185 pounds (I'm 190) will burn approximately 252 calories during an hour of drumming. So while you're factoring in your jogs and trips to the gym, don't forget to include those hundreds of hours you're practicing and playing your drums!

User Info Menu

Default Re: How many Calories do you burn Playing Drums?

I"ll have to wear my fit bit next time I play.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Tom, if you are 190 and 5'3", you are in deep s***. On the other hand, if you are 6'2", don't sweat it.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

At the end of our gig, all my clothes are soaked..........including socks.
    Very much a workout !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I don't think my socks have ever been wet but just about everything else is. I also learned that donating blood the same day as a gig is not a good idea. Gave yesterday about 1pm, had a 7:30pm start time to gig. Felt fine in the 1st 2 sets but 3rd song into the 3rd set I started feeling very light headed and dizzy, almost to the point of stopping but I trudged on and thanks to a 5hr energy made it thru. My loadout was very very slow and I barely made the drive home. I will never do that again.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Tom, if you are 190 and 5'3", you are in deep s***. On the other hand, if you are 6'2", don't sweat it.
    I'm 5'7. Definitely carrying more weight than I should. Ugh!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    At the end of our gig, all my clothes are soaked..........including socks.
    Very much a workout !
    Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    I don't think my socks have ever been wet but just about everything else is. I also learned that donating blood the same day as a gig is not a good idea. Gave yesterday about 1pm, had a 7:30pm start time to gig. Felt fine in the 1st 2 sets but 3rd song into the 3rd set I started feeling very light headed and dizzy, almost to the point of stopping but I trudged on and thanks to a 5hr energy made it thru. My loadout was very very slow and I barely made the drive home. I will never do that again.

Ricardo, MDK, the both of you are working way, way to hard if you sweat that much.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I'm 5'7. Definitely carrying more weight than I should. Ugh!!
    5'7", Tom you are 1 of the few guys that would have to look up to Tom Cruise. If I were you, I would get my chubby butt to the gym and then talk to Marie Osmond.

You have to stop at 1 cheeseburger then go get a colonoscopy. Drink that stuff they give you and watch 8-10lbs go away. Just don't stray too far from your house.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Ricardo, MDK, the both of you are working way, way to hard if you sweat that much.
    But wow, what a great night's sleep after that..........
    I got my first (Slingy) kit in 64...was raised on the pop of the 60s...I got into classic rock and prog early...I had all my music in college from 74 to 78.
    Still gettin' it done !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I got my 1st kit (Kents) in 1956. 1st Ludwigs in 1961. Same as you, '60's music but from before the "British Invasion". Music has changed so much since then that I don't even listen to the newer stuff. My car radio is tuned to an oldies station out of Charlotte. The only "new" song that I like is "Celebrity Skin" by Hole and the only way I heard it was that it came on at the end of "Captain Marvel".

Buddy used to sweat a lot. He told me 1 night that the worst part was that it would get in his eyes and burn. I told Zack that he uses more energy in 1 song than I used in a 4 set night and I never sweated. Why, I couldn't tell you, but I never did.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

5'7", Tom you are 1 of the few guys that would have to look up to Tom Cruise. If I were you, I would get my chubby butt to the gym and then talk to Marie Osmond.

You have to stop at 1 cheeseburger then go get a colonoscopy. Drink that stuff they give you and watch 8-10lbs go away. Just don't stray too far from your house.
    Ha-ha! - - I'm tryin' man, I'm tryin'!

User Info Menu

Ha-ha! - - I'm tryin' man, I'm tryin'!
    Seriously, I wish I could loan you my metabolism. All my adult life I stayed between 165-170lbs at 6'. No matter what or how much I ate, 165-170lbs was where I stayed for over 50 years.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Seriously, I wish I could loan you my metabolism. All my adult life I stayed between 165-170lbs at 6'. No matter what or how much I ate, 165-170lbs was where I stayed for over 50 years.
    I could use some of that.....
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

That's amazing! My problem is I have a sweet tooth. Ugh!!

User Info Menu

Tom, I eat roughly 2 family sized bags of Hershey Kisses every week.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You ever find out how to bottle that you could make millions!
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

My Dad was 1/2 Shoshone Indian which makes me and my sister 1/4. Have you ever seen a chubby Indian????? I obviously have those genes!!!!!

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

5'9" here hovering a bit over 200! How I ever got there is a secret lol but here I am.

When I was playing hard rock and metal I would be completely soaked. The southern rock I'm doing now is more dynamic, a couple of the songs are breezy.

I will never forget the show in the metal band where I was almost hyperventilating. That was weird and scary. I can remember at the end of one song I stepped behind the backdrop and was trying to catch my wind.. what a terrible gig that was. Never experienced that again thank God.

To answer the question , I guess I use to burn more than I do now. How many is unknown
    Last edited by slinky; 03-15-2022 at 10:03 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I'm 5'7" 180lbs

User Info Menu

Not gigging anymore but still get some jams in with some friends where we could do some bars. I liked some of the open mic nights at the blues bar.
    I’ve gotten up there in weight and have possible cardio issues which I’m getting taken care of.
    Sweat, not if I can help it. I’m 6’1”, 30 lbs over a bisquit. 3.3 balloons (330lbs).
    I know I can play much better hungry than full.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 03-17-2022 at 09:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    I know I can play much better hungry than full.
    I don't like playing full but definitely haven eaten. I don't like to do anything hungry. And I keep snack bars with me in case I get hungry when I'm playing.

User Info Menu

"I don't like to do anything hungry. And I keep snack bars with me"

That's how you get to be 5'7" and 190lbs.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Calories burned while drumming (no wonder I am always hungry)

Not sure how accurate this is, seems like too many calories burned for 30 minutes of drumming but what do I know.

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Calories burned while drumming (no wonder I am always hungry)

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Not sure how accurate this is, seems like too many calories burned for 30 minutes of drumming but what do I know.
    I think so too. There's conflicting information out there on calories burned when playing drums. It largely depends on the physicality of your drumming while playing and likely the speed consistency also. Then weigh in that everyone hits at different levels of force.

(Hope you don't mind, I merged your thread into this one since it's recent and same topic.)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Calories burned while drumming (no wonder I am always hungry)

I think so too. There's conflicting information out there on calories burned when playing drums. It largely depends on the physicality of your drumming while playing and likely the speed consistency also. Then weigh in that everyone hits at different levels of force.

(Hope you don't mind, I merged your thread into this one since it's recent and same topic.)

No not at all, thannk you!
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Of course it matters whether you're playing Moon River or Compared to What... but yeah, playing hard and maintaining that level can seem existential at times.