Thread: Gig Preparation

User Info Menu

Default Gig Preparation

My band has an excellent gig soon (private function) and it is such a great feeling to be preparing for such an event again.
    After taking some band activities for granted, it has been a long two years since we have been in this mode.........
    CHEERS to the return of gigging and the management (and reduction in fear) of the Covid-19 virus.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gig Preparation

Good to hear.Have fun.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Good for you! As the old saying goes; "We don't know what we've got 'til it's gone."

User Info Menu

Yes, Tom.....very true.
    We have had rehearsals to keep the chops going, but the atmosphere is now better.
    Like our parents always told us.....it's good to have goals.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

yeah I'm glad I was able to play a lot even through some of the crazy times. . . i'd go nuts

User Info Menu

I always found that a beer just about did it. I found that a beer and watching the other guys do s*** got me mentally ready for a gig.

My real job was watching the girls come in so I could point the blondes out to our rhythm/lead guitarist so he wouldn't have to look for them. It was hard work (back in the day) but someone had to do it.

Zack, the word you should have used was "went" not "go". Zack is a young guy so "back in the day" for him means last week.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 04-04-2022 at 02:31 PM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I'm glad I was able to play a lot even through some of the crazy times. . . i'd go nuts
    Same. The drums ground me. Without playing at least a few times a day, I don't feel whole.

User Info Menu

Awesome man enjoy. My new band has been gigging a lot for the last 3 months and we are already completely booked for the summer and starting to turn down gigs and refer them to other bands but most of them are tapped out as well.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Awesome man enjoy. My new band has been gigging a lot for the last 3 months and we are already completely booked for the summer and starting to turn down gigs and refer them to other bands but most of them are tapped out as well.
    Fantastic.........we always had 8 or 10 club gigs per year between the private functions we would also play.
    Since the pandemic, we no longer have any clubs/public gigs in venues worth gigging.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Be better than your competition. Keep a loose setlist. 110% no matter what the situation. Never put out a tip jar, it looks real cheesy etc.etc.etc.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

We played the (outdoor) gig Friday night -- the weather was glorious and the crowd was enthusiastic.
    It was good to get out again and play some fun music.

We had a new sound man and a few problems -- they were all resolved except the monitors were never quite what I needed.
    As always, the roadie work was much more tiring than the drummer work.....but still worth it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Awesome! Nothing like an outdoor gig with an enthusiastic crowd!