Thread: Very humbling drumming experience???

User Info Menu

Default Very humbling drumming experience???

Took up drumming late in life, (40) I am now 55 and besides a 1-1/2yr layoff been playing pretty steadily. Own 4 kits, play in a very busy band and generally enjoying it.

Well last night I went to an open mic where I know most of the people who go and play there and though I did not sign up to play I was asked to play. 1st song called was can't you see, I have played this song so much in my previous band I grew to really not enjoy it much anymore and my new band refuses to play it and I agreed. I smiled feeling very confident and said lets do it.

Well they start playing and I had absolutely no clue as to what to do, I could not remember where to come in, or how the beat felt, I knew there were some easy open to interpretation fills but could not remember where or how to start them. I completely muddled thru the song while getting looks from everyone on stage. I was really embarrassed and apologized and got up to leave when the song was over but the guitar player who I know said hey sit back down we are gonna do a few more.

They start playing dark side by Beaver Brown and again I had to be coaxed thru the song and had a few timing issues and really wanted to leave. Finally, they call a few I know "Hey Jealousy" and "Take me down" and issues were minimal but I was clearly still shaken from the 1st 2 songs. When I got done even my wife said wow what was that? and a few fellow drummers I know kind of wandered away into other conversations....LOL

I was so humbled and utterly embarrassed by the experience I am seriously rethinking my desire to play much anymore. I mean How could I not feel the beat or timing of such an easy song? How could I sound worse than I did my 1st year of ever playing after all this time, practice, and lessons?

I doubt I will give it up completely but starting to think at this age it may be a good idea to cut back and just do some drumming for myself at home. Definitely no more open mics for me. I am going to see how I play today, and a big gig tomorrow night will go a long way to me deciding which way to go. I was hoping after a good night's sleep I would feel better this morning but that is not the case.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Very humbling drumming experience???

You may have played"Can't You See" so often in your previous band that you were almost on autopilot.This time the feel may have been different plus you were not getting the little cues from your regular bandmates.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

It happens. Everyone will have an "off" night. You went into cold water without your safety gear. Good on you for going out of the norm.

IMHO, the fact that you noticed says a lot. Keep after it. You're better than one bad experience.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

MDK, if you stop playing gigs, you will, in all probability, not go back.

Go play for this too shall pass.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Thank you guys, I was just really embarrassed and actually remember giving a cocky smirk when he called out cant you see like pffft geez not this again and then I completely blew it. Ughhh I played along to the cd today and realize I never even played a rim click in the beginning which is how I used to play it and it just never felt right...WOW and eye opener for sure. I will not take any song for granted again no matter how easy it seems.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    It happens. Everyone will have an "off" night. You went into cold water without your safety gear. Good on you for going out of the norm.

IMHO, the fact that you noticed says a lot. Keep after it. You're better than one bad experience.
    I agree with this. Open mics can be tricky. Certainly easier to play with an established band where everything is rehearsed and you know what's coming. Maybe do that instead of not playing live at all. Gigs are too much fun not to be playing out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I agree with this. Open mics can be tricky. Certainly easier to play with an established band where everything is rehearsed and you know what's coming. Maybe do that instead of not playing live at all. Gigs are too much fun not to be playing out.

Yeah this is what I am hoping. Gig tonight will have a big say in what I do from this point on.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

You are going to kick a$$ tonight. Don't go with anything less than a completely positive attitude.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 04-10-2022 at 06:56 PM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

He's sleeping in. That's a good sign. lol
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You are going to kick a$$ tonight. Don't go with anything less that a completely positive attitude.
    Love this! Great post Rick!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    You are going to kick a$$ tonight. Don't go with anything less than a completely positive attitude.
    Thank you, buddy, it was not easy but I tried to stay positive the whole day leading up to the gig. I decided to not run thru any songs the day of the gig and it went really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    He's sleeping in. That's a good sign. lol
    LOL Yes I did. Was a great time and the place was packed, we even did some songs on the fly we have never done before when some guy came up and threw a C-note into the tip jar and asked for "country roads". Thank god he wanted to sing it because all we knew was the chorus. I had the open mic performance in the back of my mind for the 1st 4 or 5 songs then forgot all about it and let loose.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Glad to hear this.Forget t#hat open mic nigh.S##T happens.Keep on rockin".
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Most excellent!

WTG, MDK!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Problem resolved......forget the whole thing.
    I've worked hard for so many years at the art and mechanics of drumming.
    I had multiple goals, but none of them were open mic night.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Keep kicking a**, my friend!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals