Thread: The Drum Battle - Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich at JATP

User Info Menu

Default The Drum Battle - Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich at JATP

This is one of the great classic jazz albums. It was recorded at JATP (Jazz at the Philharmonic which put on jazz concerts from 1944 to 1983) at Carnegie Hall in 1952 and released as "The Drum Battle" in 1960. It features Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich doing a drum battle.

When I first heard this album I was truely amazed at how Gene Krupa could play the "Drum Boogie" introduction so fast especially musically with taste and dynamics. And then the solo. Wow! Talk about feeling and swing. And when I heard the triplets just keep going and going, I actually cried. (this was a long time ago) I couldn't imagine anyone could just keep playing like that. And then to top it off with those 16ths.

Another thing that amazed me was how just piano, alto sax, and drums could swing just by themselves. Wow! Talk about feeling and swing.

Then of course the "drum battle" was like the cherry on top.

This is "Drum Boogie" with legends Hank Jones - piano and Willie Smith - alto sax.

Last edited by aboveforever; 01-28-2021 at 12:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Drum Battle - Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich at JATP

This is the "Drum Battle" with Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich. It starts off with Gene and alternates with Buddy at first. Then they ride the cymbal and the when the actual battle begins, Buddy starts and they alternate until the end when they both play together to end the battle.

User Info Menu

This is "Perdido" which follows the "battle" with the great legends Ella Fitzgeral - singing, Philp Philips - tenor sax, and Roy Eldrige on trumpet with Gene on drums. A great tenor solo that swings.

User Info Menu

They were both such musical drummers aside from their amazing chops.

User Info Menu

The best snare playing I ever heard, bar none. Krupa articulates his strokes, he is incredibly melodic in his playing. This is why they call him the “ The King Of Swing”. It doesn’t get any better than this snare work. No drummer as of yet, has or can match Krupp’s feel or snare playing ability with such musicality.
    Last edited by Jackie; 01-12-2023 at 04:39 PM.