Thread: measuring MPH velocity strikes on real drums & cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default measuring MPH velocity strikes on real drums & cymbals?

...googled a bit and it's all about programming.

Is there any device or method to measure at what speed/force a stick physically hits a cymbal?

I want to do some reseach with my collection & check the correlation of when a cymbal arrives at full bloom before, being hit too hard and choking out. I've many sizes and makes, old & new. Also to see if there's any velocity pattern between bell strike tone/overtones... how thin reaches max. before med & heavy. Stick weight affect... you get the idea.

I'm curious about speed/force difference between strait on (incorrect) hits vs. glancing hits, using my same muscle memory. And follow thrus vs. pulling punches. All this would really need to have something attached to the stick or cymbal. Wow now that I type this out, it's like using car-accident math theory. Unfortunately my math aptitude is abysmal.

Any ideas?

jasyr

User Info Menu

Default Re: measuring MPH velocity strikes on real drums & cymbals?

1 idea.....................don't bother with this. There are a lot of different things to do/learn on a set of drums, this is not 1 of them.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I disagree with Rick... from the standpoint of pure interest, if you have the time and desire, and it's something that may prove useful to you, go for it. Unfortunately, I know nothing about this but the topic peaks my interest. I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else has worked with it in some way. I know the stick and cymbal makers dabble in this as their always looking for new, innovative ideas and approaches to improving the existing products.

User Info Menu

P.S. I see this is your first post. Welcome to our drum family!

User Info Menu

Short of slow motion to see the actual reaction of a cymbal being hit, I have no idea how 1 would measure the force/velocity of each hit.

If a slower song is being played you have more control over how hard or soft you hit the cymbal or whether you hit it full on or a glancing hit.

On the other hand, playing a fast song, even if 1 knows the force/velocity that you would prefer to hit a cymbal at doing so will always be off by some no matter how hard you try to control it.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

that slow motion footage is AWESOME!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that slow motion footage is AWESOME!!!!
    Isn't it? I've seen that before and it's truly amazing!

User Info Menu

Hit 'em like a back line kit.

Oh wait, what was the question?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

You could try some type of radar gun. I remember a guy at hockey practice had one to clock his shots. That was almost 20 years ago so maybe there's some kind of app now.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN