Thread: Battle of the Bands

User Info Menu

Default Battle of the Bands

Battle of the Bands: Are they worth it, or could they do more to hurt you than help you? Let’s discuss!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Battle of the Bands

If you are any good they are good for your ego. When it is over find the judges and ask them why they scored you as they did.Work on the weak spots.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

I’m of the opinion that many times it’s nothing more than free entertainment for a venue in the name of “exposure”. I’m of the opinion that established bands should stay away from them. If other venues know you’re playing these for free while you’re charging them it could potentially come back to bite you. If you’re a new up and coming band it could possibly help you, but there is no guarantee.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

How popular are you? Most of the time they seem like a popularity contest. Make sure crowd response is only a small portion of the points.

I enjoy all competitions as I'm a very competitive person. I actually wish we had more battle of the bands vs all these crap vocal competitions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I actually wish we had more battle of the bands vs all these crap vocal competitions.
    Agree with Spaz....would be a better display of multiple talents.

Battle of the Bands was something available to my band when I was in high school; I actually laughed when I saw the subject come up.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Back in the early '60's, there were battles of the bands a lot. Too young for the bars so what you had were church and school dances. They always took place in the schools because the schools had bigger stages.
    We played in 4-5 of them, won 2-3. I played 3 battles of the drummers and won all 3. There were no judges just crowd response. There was a guy that was a couple of years older than me and he was taking lessons and when he lost he threw his sticks against the wall and walked out. That was around '63-'64. We never said a word to each other..............ever.
    Almost 50 years later, I stop in the pool hall I played at. There was a lady working the counter and I asked her if I could get a table further in the back away from the front where the tables were being played and people standing around would be in the way. Anyway, I'm talking to her for a while and she asks me my name, I tell her and she asks me if I play drums and I said yes, for a long time. She tells me that her ex-husband hates me. I ask her who her ex is and she tells me his name which I don't remember at all. I find out that her ex was the guy that threw his sticks against the wall almost 50 years ago and has hated me for all those years.
    I can't carry anger for a week let alone almost 50 years. As for battles of the bands, personally I think they bring out the best in a band but that's just my opinion.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I played in 4 or 5 different battles.Went out of town and beat the local band(they thought they had it in the bag).After another battle one of the judges offered me the drummer spot in his band.Battles of the bands were a lot of fun.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

i did one of those in the early 90's. It was a Christian rock botb. Our band name was Tricky Dick, a 3 piece, and the theme for most of our songs was girls and partying so to get into that battle of the bands we submitted our band name as The Three Wise Men

didn't win but it was fun.
    Last edited by slinky; 06-02-2022 at 04:55 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I think Battle of the Bands are fun and they build community...as long as it doesn't get too aggressively competitive. It should bring musicians together in a brotherhood, not drive them apart.

User Info Menu

"as long as it doesn't get too aggressively competitive".

Tom, you are kidding right????? At times like that, you go in to kick a$$, not make friends.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS