Thread: Yamaha Recording Custom Brass - Snare Wire Replacement?

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Recording Custom Brass - Snare Wire Replacement?

I have a Yamaha Recording Custom brass snare (13.5 x 6) and am considering replacing the snare wires. The drum is like new, so the original wires are in perfect condition.

However, when comparing this drum to my others, I don't seem to be getting enough sound from the wires. I thought about going with puresound 30-strand, but am hesitant to replace the stock wires as I keep reading about how much thought was put into selecting those (by Yamaha). I play mostly funk and blues, so looking for that crisp fusion-sounding snap.

I've tried adjusting the tension at all levels, but still not happy with the sound. Also, varied the head tension but still not pleased. I've not varied the snare-side head (yet), but should try that.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Sam
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Recording Custom Brass - Snare Wire Replacement?

Hi Sam,
    The snare side is absolutely where you'll hear that difference. Crank that baby!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Hi Sam,
    The snare side is absolutely where you'll hear that difference. Crank that baby!
    Thanks, Tom. Upon checking out the tension of the snare-side head, I realized I'd already cranked it tight (which is what I do). I actually loosened the snare-side head a little (about 1/4 turn all around) and the snares seemed to come alive. I guess I'll hold off on the 30-strand wires.
    Sam
    Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute|Tama Starclassic Birch|Tama Starclassic Birch Bubinga (2 kits)|Yamaha Power V|1962 Slingerland |Snares: Sonor S-Class Pro, Yamaha Recording Custom brass, Starphonic aluminum, SLP G-Maple, Tama Fat Spruce, SLP Bubinga, Black Magic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fpmr96a View Post
    Thanks, Tom. Upon checking out the tension of the snare-side head, I realized I'd already cranked it tight (which is what I do). I actually loosened the snare-side head a little (about 1/4 turn all around) and the snares seemed to come alive. I guess I'll hold off on the 30-strand wires.
    Great! There are certainly many ways to tune the snare. I've always gotten the best snare response from a very tight bottom head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Great! There are certainly many ways to tune the snare. I've always gotten the best snare response from a very tight bottom head.
    Make sure you don't install the wires too tightly or else your snare mechanism will have very little range of adjustment.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

make sure wires aren't on upside down .. hey it happens to the best of us. the snare is 13.5? or just 13? does it use 13" or 14"wires?. I have a 14x5.5 copper yamaha and it requires 15" wires. make sure you're not short changing the drums full potential.

(that is if your drum has the type of throw off that extends the wires past the head)
    Last edited by slinky; 06-06-2022 at 06:25 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN