Thread: Last One

User Info Menu

Default Last One

Hershel "Woody" Williams died early today at 98. He was the last living Medal of Honor winner from WWII.

CITATION:
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Demolition Sergeant serving with the First Battalion, Twenty-First Marines, Third Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Island, 23 February 1945. Quick to volunteer his services when our tanks were maneuvering vainly to open a lane for the infantry through the network of reinforced concrete pillboxes, buried mines and black, volcanic sands, Corporal Williams daringly went forward alone to attempt the reduction of devastating machine-gun fire from the unyielding positions. Covered only by four riflemen, he fought desperately for four hours under terrific enemy small-arms fire and repeatedly returned to his own lines to prepare demolition charges and obtain serviced flame throwers, struggling back, frequently to the rear of hostile emplacements, to wipe out one position after another. On one occasion he daringly mounted a pillbox to insert the nozzle of his flame thrower through the air vent, kill the occupants and silence the gun; on another he grimly charged enemy riflemen who attempted to stop him with bayonets and destroyed them with a burst of flame from his weapon. His unyielding determination and extraordinary heroism in the face of ruthless enemy resistance were directly instrumental in neutralizing one of the most fanatically defended Japanese strong points encountered by his regiment and aided in enabling his company to reach its' [sic] objective. Corporal Williams' aggressive fighting spirit and valiant devotion to duty throughout this fiercely contested action sustain and enhance the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.[9]

/S/ HARRY S. TRUMAN

Part of "The Greatest Generation", I doubt if anyone would argue that.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Last One

Thanks for sharing Rick. Last of the Greatest generation.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I can't imagine the horror of what those men experienced. I so appreciate their courage. Thanks for posting Rick.

User Info Menu

I had 2 future uncles that fought on Iwo Jima. The fight went on for 26 days and at the end there were 26,000 dead on that island that was barely bigger than my old home town. Roughly 6,000 Marines and 20,000 Japanese.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I had 2 future uncles that fought on Iwo Jima. The fight went on for 26 days and at the end there were 26,000 dead on that island that was barely bigger than my old home town. Roughly 6,000 Marines and 20,000 Japanese.
    My father was a P-51 fighter pilot for the U.S. Air Force in the Philippines.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    My father was a P-51 fighter pilot for the U.S. Air Force in the Philippines.
    Bish I just saw this. To me the P-51 Mustang was 1 of the most beautiful planes ever built.

What a lot of people don't know is that the Ford Mustang was named after the plane not the horse.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Bish I just saw this. To me the P-51 Mustang was 1 of the most beautiful planes ever built.

What a lot of people don't know is that the Ford Mustang was named after the plane not the horse.
    Yeah, I'm sorta biased to the coolness it represents.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Like I said in the PM, if you could add yours (at least one of them) it would complete the transitions.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

That's a couple of nice looking Mustangs.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums