Thread: Kick pedal technique....need some tips

User Info Menu

Default Kick pedal technique....need some tips

Just wondering what everyone does re how they position their foot on the kick pedal and how they play. I mainly play middle of the road pop / rock covers stuff so not a heavy hitter or need fast double hits etc. I normally play with foot flat on the pedal, heel not leaving the pedal but foot going up and down pivoting the ankle for want of a better explanation. Just find it a bit fatiguing on my foot / ankle joint. Experimented around with spring tensions and beater lengths and feel them to be ok.

Is this how people normally play their kick ie pivoting their foot up and down at an angle or use a stomp type action where you don't pivot your foot / ankle joint, more just move leg up and down. Appreciate any help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick pedal technique....need some tips

I have played heel down for my entire playing life. Worked for me.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I play heel up. More dynamic control and less fatigue.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

"I play heel up. More dynamic control and less fatigue."

I have to disagree with you Rick. I watched a demo of heel up on YouTube and tried it.

1) Totally off balance.

2) I can get my bass drum going and keep it going for as long as I need with literally no fatigue.

3) I sit relatively high (27") and there is no weight on my right ankle therefore it becomes "set it and forget it".

4) I was going to put an old video of mine up with the BD going for 6 minutes with virtually no upper leg movement. It's on page 9 under "Snare for 1".
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I am totally balanced on a 26 in. high seat with no weight on my heels. I feel like I can manipulate the pedal faster and easier{for triplets and stuff} if I go heel up.Go with whatever works for you.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

I worked out the spring was still a little tight. I thought if I loosened it off too much I'd lose speed but seem to have found a happy medium. Ankle joint really fatigued before, thought maybe was just getting old :-(.

I have played heel up on occasion when I needed a bit more oomph playing in a noisy pub at volume to but find it only works for me when playing heavy stuff and actually need to rock myself back between the bass and hi hat pedals. Could play all night now. really nice old light Pearl P-100. At the right tension practically plays itself

User Info Menu

I do not recommend the heel down technique. It's very limiting and puts undo stress on the ankle joint. I also believe that the public is very educated on this by now and that is why it is the favored technique among the masses.

Try this: Place your arm (with your hand extended) outward 2" above the table and tap the table quickly using your wrist. Now put your hand and arm down flat on the table and tap the table using just your hand (don't move your arm). Do you see how limiting the latter is?

By no means is my opinion meant to disrespect those that play flat-footed like Rick and have so throughout their entire career. I just don't feel it is the optimum approach.

User Info Menu

Thanks bro, been experimenting a little further and find it is well worth while making sure you start with the right seating position as well. For me a couple of inches too far forward or back makes a huge difference too

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny202 View Post
    Thanks bro, been experimenting a little further and find it is well worth while making sure you start with the right seating position as well. For me a couple of inches too far forward or back makes a huge difference too
    You are correct. If you are uncomfortable, you will always be uncomfortable. If you have to go back to the basics, set up your throne, then bass drum then snare, then Hi-hats. If you can't get comfortable with those basic parts, you'll be forever chasing it.

1. Throne
    2. Throne to bass drum comfort
    3. Snare drum
    4. Hats

Just my personal opinion of course but those primary components make up 99% of your rhythm.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It's the little things. If you don't feel comfortable you wont play well. I am lucky got a really nice smooth easy Yamaha HH pedal and great light touch little Pearl kick. Can back the tension way off but don't seem to lose any speed on double kicks.